Lactaid Chewables for kids? Have you...?

Have you given these to your kid before? How much did you dose for a 30lb. two year old? I know it's not a medication and there is no age limit on who can take it....so I'm just trying to figure out what a sufficient dose is.

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 10:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• http://www.lactaid.ca/en/whats-lactaid-supplem.asp 4th paragraph down....anyway, the rest of Lactaid's website might be helpful. Looks like it depends on your sensitivity to milk as to what your dose might be. I took it as a child.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't attempt this. I would get the child tested for allergies, skin testing specifically. Milk allergies are common, my daughter is allergic, and can drink rice milk. She was allergic to soy as well. Good Luck.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My step-sister gives her 2 year old Lactaid...as her doctor told her to, when she gets off work today, I'll let you know.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Well thanks for the help! eye rolling

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I've used the regular kind for me as an adult, don't know about the kids.
    I'd say call your pediatrition and ask them. I think they'd by far rather you call over something as small as how much of this medicine do I give and is it okay, than for you to just do it alone and something bad happen.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 11:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Well seeing as it's NOT a medication, there really is no harm. It's just the same as giving Miralax. It is simply something to help the person digest lactose.....like yogurt helps the digestive system. I'm pretty sure she's not allergic - intolerant, yes but allergic, no. And it's not as simple as just removing dairy; she loves milk cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, ice cream, yogurt. She's been on almond milk and does well on it but I can't afford to buy it all the time - especially when she still has issues from other dairy she's eating. So I'd rather nip it in the bud with the Lactaid. Anyways, thanks for the input. I hope someone can answer the question.....

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thank you momjoy!!!! Much appreciated! I should have just asked on FB to get a faster answer....without the nonsense. Silly me thought a website full of moms would be able to answer a question about being a mom/parenting. <sigh>

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thanks!! I guess I'll just 'trial and error' it - like I had to do with the Miralax for my older daughter. I appreciate the help!!

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• How about try NOT giving the child dairy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2011