Should policy be made based on religious beliefs?

A Republican congressman hoping to chair the powerful House Energy Committee refers to the Bible and God on the issue of global warming.

Representative John Shimkus insists we shouldn't concerned about the planet being destroyed because God promised Noah it wouldn't happen again after the great flood.

Speaking before a House Energy Subcommittee on Energy and Environment hearing in March, 2009, Shimkus quoted Chapter 8, Verse 22 of the Book of Genesis.

He said: 'As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, will never cease.'
The Illinois Republican continued: 'I believe that is the infallible word of God, and that's the way it is going to be for his creation.

'The earth will end only when God declares its time to be over. Man will not destroy this earth. This earth will not be destroyed by a flood

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Most scientists do NOT back it up.

Only 90% of scientists do. Who do you think has paid millions and millions of dollars to scientist and politicians to spread the word that it isn't true. That would be Exon Mobile, Koch Brothers, the tobacco companies. Are you going to believe the oil companies or actual scientists. It only takes a little money to brainwash people.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Of course not. lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• *face palm*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Nope. Besides, which religion would we based this off exactly?
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• How did he get elected?

Who hears someone say something like that and actually votes for them?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I don't agree with his religion but I also don't believe the church or Global Warming either. Everyone makes decisions and their views are shaped by their religion or lack of religion. Impossible for it not to impact how a person thinks. I am an Atheist and have no issue with that but I am actually tolerant of all beliefs unlike many on here.
    Anonymous

• blank stare came across several running for offices in the Nov election that hold views similar to this, seems to be kind of an I want a free pass belief. Scaryto me to think we should not be taking care of the planet, just cause a book written so long ago says so (according to certain peoples interpretation of it).

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• of
    Anonymous

• It doesn't matter if man made global warming exists or not (and it doesn't), he has no business having that job if he can't leave his religion at home where it belongs. (and for those about to vote this down, replace Bible with Koran and you know damn well you'd say the same thing).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2011