at what age is it ok to leave your kid home alone for 1-2 hours?

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 10:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends on the child and how responsible they are. Between 10-12 would be the earliest, I think. Are they able to follow rules when you're not standing over them?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I agree with Anon.. Also each state has a specific set of laws.

I live in Texas and before I started leaving my oldest alone I double check my laws:

Although, there is no Texas law that defines a specific age at which a child may be left home alone, there are several factors that should be taken into consideration when deciding how closely to supervise a child, including:
    *the age, emotional maturity and capability of the child;
    *layout and safety of the home, play area, or other setting;
    *neighborhood circumstances, hazards, and risks;
    *the child's ability to respond to illness, fire, weather, or other types of emergencies; and
    *whether the child has a mental, physical, or medical disability.
    The number of children left unsupervised, the accessibility to other responsible adults, the length of time or frequency with which the child is left alone, and the child's knowledge of the parent's whereabouts are relevant as well
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It depends, both on your local laws on such things and on the individual child's level of maturity and responsibility.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I didn't start leaving my daughter home alone until she was 12. And she was very nervous. We talked on the cellphone alot. Now, she is 14 and she can't wait until i leave her alone! lol I think it depends on the child. My DD has always been very clingy. But with a more independent child, I can see doing it earlier.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 10:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I was in 4th grade, and watching my younger siblings... however I was very responsible at that age... my brother on the other hand wasn't left alon until he was about 14 lol
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Around 13
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• PA doesnt have a set law. my neighbor was told by a judge 9 was acceptable. i feel that is a little young. california is 8. most 'guidelines' are 12.
    JOR_HAIL

Comment by JOR_HAIL (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think it really depends on how mature the child is, and if s/he is responisible.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2011