My silverware basket in my dishwasher has a bunch of holes. . .

Everyone in this house "drops" the silverware in to the basket and now I'm down to 2 sections that the silverware won't fall through. It's going to cost $50 for a new basket. I tried wiring the bottom but it rusts and breaks quickly. Any suggestions? I really don't want to invest $50 on a piece of plastic that probably only cost the company .12 to make.

marihand

Asked by marihand at 10:30 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You could always purchase a small plastic basket from Target or WalMart and use that instead.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Instead of wire, try using heavy duty fishing line and weaving that into the bottom of the basket...
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 12:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Line the bottom of your basket with pieces cut from those green plastic berry baskets that you get your blueberries in from the store. It's free and should work just fine. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• See if you can find a "bath/toiletry" basket--that you would use to tote bath and body products around--with drainage holes on the bottom--at the Dollar Store that will fit in the space in your dishwasher.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My ILs just had that problem! They ended up using something that I hope you can get what I'm explaining! I'm sure you can find it at Wal-mart or any craft store. It's the plastic cross stitch stuff - it's a finer plastic mesh...youc an cut it to size and even if a spot breaks it's too small for stuff to fall through...it has worked so well for them, and it's heat resistant too, at least it has been for them! (they don't run the dry cycle which I've heard is the hottest part of it.)
    Anonymous

• I had to replace mine last summer and it did not cost me anywhere near 50 bucks. What type is it? I am sure I can find one cheaper for you!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• WOW, I can't believe I never thought of any of these ideas. Thank you guys soooooooo much. !!!!!
    marihand

Comment by marihand (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2011