Do marriages work ? Looking for happily married moms!?!

These days it seems im surrounded mostly by friends in failed marriages, is it just me or does it seem like marriage is a failing institution these days? Is there anyone out there truly happy in their marriage? IF so how long have you been married and how do you keep it working? I need some hope here ive never been married?!?!

GroceryMom

Asked by GroceryMom at 11:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• I am true testament that they do! been married 38 years going to be 39 in March, I have been happy all of those years. I think the secret to it all is a lot of love that will make you compromise and meet your partner half way. We do a lot of things together some of which are not exactly my cup of tea, but worth doing just to be together. It is awesome to be able to share a life with someone you love and even more beautiful to grow old together......

Answer by older at 11:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Ive been with my DH for 11 years and married for 9 1/2. The key I believe is communication! Were doing great...remember though every marriage has ups and downs thats normal but you dont give up on someone for the stupid things
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes. I've been married for 8-1/2 years and we've been together for 14 years.. it took time and patience but we are SO happy and both very much in love.. how it works? It took years to understand each other "quirks' and the biggest we both had/have to admit when we are being stubborn asses and when we are wrong - which is harder than most people think - we also thank each other daily for tasks/chores that each other do - that' is SO helpful !! you can't imagine.. never feeling like anything is YOUR job and your job alone.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I've been happily married for 22 years.  I think the secret is compatibility.  My husband and I work really well together as a couple, as parents and as friends. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have been married for 8 1/2 years. Has it been a bed of roses every single day, no, but we are happily married. We have had our ups and downs, our disagreements and our agreements, our good days and bad. What is most important is that no matter what happens we are there for each other and to help each other through the good and bad.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It's funny, because i am surrounded by happily married couples. I have been married only 5 years...but we're extremely happy & in a very strong relationship.

I think it's important for couples to hang out with other happily married couples.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My hubby and I will be married 20 years this June and for the most part it is a happy marriage. (not to say we don't have our 'issues' at times). I do think that the key to having a good marriage is to have both of you working at it, communicating with each other, listening to each other and being able to make compromises.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I come from a long line of long marriages! My grandparents were married for 66 years before passing w/in 6 wks of ea. other, almost 2 yrs ago. (I still miss them terribly!) My husb & I have been together for 15 yrs., married for 13 yrs. It's not always like the honeymoon. It does take work. But having a mutual love, respect, trust & desire for one another & supporting ea. other in good times & bad, will help keep it together. Basically live your vows! Dont be afraid it wont work b/c your friends' marriages failed.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• samurai chica, I agree because I had noticed that the last rough spell my husband and I went through, there were a lot of our co-workers who were going through divorces at that time

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• ive been married for almost 4 years..we learn to get over the little things when we piss each other off,and dont hold any grudges if they know ur mad then fine,,lol..make sure u say i love u at least 3 times a day and make time for a hug:)
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2011