How do you get an Autistic child to share?

My son is 6 years old and has autism and adhd. I have been trying to get him to share his toys with his little brother but he thinks every toys in the house is just for him. When his little brother gets something he takes it away from him and says it is his and to leave it alone.

countrygirl503

Asked by countrygirl503 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 1st thing you need to realize (no snark meant) is that every child in the Autistic spectrum is totally different. Everyone responds to Autism in a different way.

My Autistic kid, in fact won't STOP sharing, can't get him to shut up sometimes. Sometimes its a matter of finding an interest they are really into to make em loosen up.

Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• have you watched the show parenthood? there is a boy who plays as a Autistic kid. they give good tips on how he shares and get along with others.
    if you haven't watched the show before go to hulu.com and type in "The parenthood".
    deyrita09

Answer by deyrita09 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• you need to show him how to share i know you have done this but you have to remember he forgets and that's okay ,if teach him how to play with younger brother with out fighting .my nephew is autistic as well and you do have repeat every thing to more then you want to but for them to understand it worth all the gold ,i have toys that i put aside that both of my nephews have to share you could do the same
    these mommy toys and both have share to play with them ,also mom ask him to help with his younger brother can watch him while go to the kitchen and make short but next day make it little longer ask him can you show how to play with toy i don't know how to do it ,in the end he might shock you by playing with toys with younger brother
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2011