Toddler Bed: How do I keep her in it?

Ok, Cecilia is turning 2. I am convinced that she should be ready for a toddler bed.

She has a convertible bed. All I have to do is remove one of the walls and it turns into a toddler bed. I tried this a few months ago and while she went to sleep just fine, halfway through the night I heard her get out of her bed and start playign with her shoes.

She didn't try to come out of her room, although since I went in ther enad told her she needed to go back to bed and then just brought her to my bed so she would sleep, I think she just probably didn;t get a chance to try to come out of her room.

So, my question is this. How do I keep her in her bed? She likes sleeping with the door of her room closed, so I know I can keep her in her room, but how do I keep her in bed? I'm afraid she will just decide to get up halfway through the night and start playing in her room every night and then just be tired when I try to get her up to get ready for daycare.

Any ideas?

Dalimonster

Asked by Dalimonster at 11:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't keep them in their beds. Every kid(4 of them)I had to super baby proof the room, and gate it off so they couldn't roam the house. If I didn't go in there every ten minutes they would give up and get in the bed. My boy fell asleep on the floor a few times, but just picked him up and put him in bed.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If you don't think she will stay in her bed, I would just leave her in her crib. Target sells a detachable rail for regular beds, but the child can still get out of it. It's more just to keep them from falling out and getting hurt. The other option would be to get up, put her back to bed and make her stay there. Tell her she doesn't have to go to sleep, but she does have to stay in bed. We used this technique with our children, and we spanked them if they got up the second time. It worked and we didn't usually have to repeat it more than 2 or 3 times. Children have to be taught to live by the rules of your home, and it's up to you to enforce those rules. It is not a painless process, either for you nor for the child, but it's necessary, unless you want your child growing up to believe she can always just do as she pleases without regard for the rest of the family.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I left all 3 of my girls in their crib until about 2 1/2 and one of them until they were almost 3. I put a baby gate up at their door so they couldnt go downstairs. As for keeping her in her bed, i just told them it was nite nite, gave them their favorite stuffed animal and blanket and usually 80% of the time they just went to sleep. Its hard to get them to understand its bed time especially when they are so little. good luck.

You could try the super nanny approach, she says to put them in their bed tuck them in nite nite and then tell them not to get up. If they get up put them in bed and say its bed time. The third time they get up dont say anything to them and just keep putting them back into bed. After a few days of this it should work but it could take up to an hour to get her to stay in her bed each night. I have never tried this but i saw it on the tv show super nanny and it worked for them.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• what you shouldnt of done was put her in your bed.. just put her back in bed.. keep doing it. she will learn that she is to go to sleep and stay in bed.. my son has been in a tod. bed since he was 1 years old he got out a couple of times. i just put him back in it and told him bedtime... itll work just try..
    niftymisty

Answer by niftymisty at 12:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• hey we are moving to toddler bed tonight! yay......she is 2 and 1/2...I do not think she is going to stay in that bed,but im gonna keep sticking her back.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 12:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• With my son he DID get out of bed the first few nights... he ended up falling asleep on the floor. We just let him. After a couple of nights the novelty of the new sleeping arrangements wore off and he has never tried to get out of bed. He doesn't even get out of bed when he wakes up, he waits for us to get him. We use a safety knob on his door so that he isn't able to wander the house... if he would happen to try to leave his room.

My son is 2 1/2 he's been in his toddler bed (convertible) since he was 17 months.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011