Should I.....

call animal control on a friend? My friend has this dog, a boxer, but it seems to me she and her husband neglects him. This was her hubbys idea to get this dog when he was a baby but she didnt want him to get the dog in the first place. Whenever I go to her house the dog just looks so sad and shy and will not make eye contact. He also appears to be under nourished. I can see his ribs. I asked her how many times a day does she feed him and she told me once. Now I know some people may feed an adult dog once a day, but maybe it's not enough for him since he looks so thin. She keeps him in the backyard no matter the weather. I have never seen her or her hubby take him for a walk. It doesnt seem like anyone pays him any attention. He just looks real pitiful. So my question is would I be wrong to call and could I do this anonymously? I am not an expert on this but I do have a dog and I know what a happy dog should look like and act.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Pets

• I think I would do the right thing and voice your concerns to her instead of going behind her back. Tell her that the dog is being neglected and its not fair. Tell her that YOU will help her find a good home for the dog.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If he truly is too skinny I'd call and see what they say.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Answer by -LucyInTheSky- at 11:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You should call someone. I wouldn't call animal control though, you need to call a rescue group. If you google Boxer rescue and the City/State you're in I'm sure you can find one. Animal control aren't going to help the dog, they will just stick him in a pound. I think it's good fo you to care about the dog, it really sounds like he needs some TLC...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• of*
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I had someone call animal control on me once for what sounds to be the same thing. They showed up at 6am and I had to show them my dog (a pit bull). They said that he was a healthy weight, was full of energy and showed no signs of being neglected, even though he was kept outside during the day while I was at work. He had shelter, food and water while I was away and had a zip line so that he could run around in the yard. My point is, you can call and report it, but that does not mean that they are doing anything wrong.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'd call and report it.
    They won't show up at 6 AM because, unless they have 24 hour animal control officers on duty, most aren't there until 8 or 9 AM.

If they do nothing, at least you know that your friends understand someone is concerned about their dog and they may start taking better care of him.

@gumby, bring your dog in, they do not belong outside.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• make an anonymous call & say you think the dog is malnurished. They will come by & investigate. They may not take the dog, but it might at least make them aware that other people notice they are sucky dog owners & hopefully they'll try better.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011