Worried about my mother

Does anyone know anything about drug induced liver damage? My mom has been on a certain antidepressant that can cause elevated liver enzymes if not watched. Regular blood work needs to be done to check the liver when on this medication. Anyway the doc recently told her that her liver has been damaged and now she's having an Utlrasound to see just how bad the damage is. I'm worried sick! The thing that worries me the most is that she's a drinker and I think the damage might be caused by this. She has since stopped drinking but is pretty much in denial that the drinking caused it. Does anyone have any information or experience on either drug induced liver damage or alcoholic liver damage??? I would really appreciate it!

blainesmommy03

Asked by blainesmommy03 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Health

• If you are referring to Serzone. I just recently got off it after 11 years, but I think the majority of people who experienced liver problems were alcoholics. I would say more than not it is the alcohol. She has Cirrhosis of the Liver most likely. My grandfather died for this. The alcohol is what damaged the liver.
    Anonymous

• She was taking Zyprexa.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I don't have any information, I am sorry. This is a terrible worry for you and your family. I hope that your mother will be OK.

Answer by Bmat at 5:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2008