dont know what to do please help adult content

my dd is 8. she has and still does, 'explore' her parts. it is quite embarrassing and i dont discuss it with anyone for i fear the comments. i dont know what to do. do i tell her its wrong and to stop? do i ignore it? omg. its really bothering me, she seems way too young to be doing that.
help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• You need to be knocking and giving her privacy. My daughters are 6 and 7 and we have already had this talk and I always knock. House rule...everybody knocks on closed doors. It has been that way since they were around 3. They have books about it at the library. Buy a sex book, they usually talk about masturbation in there and how to talk to your child about it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Just tell her it is something she needs to do in the privacy or her bedroom, alone. It is completely normal for kids to do that, I mean when you figure it out, it does feel good.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Believe it or not, your daughter is completely normal! But you should talk to her about where/when the right time to explore is and that it's ok. Might be a good time to talk to her about other people touching her as well and how it's ok for her to touch herself, but not anyone else.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• She is very normal, like everyone else has said just explain about privacy, and knocking on door is exactly what you should do.

To start the conversation, be very frank and honest. "I want ot talk toyou about when you touch yourself....' Maybe even ask her if she has any questions about it. Getting books is a great place to start, I recently saw a bunch of them for kids so its something you could get her and sit down and go thru together. You need to start talking to her now so its comfortable for both of you when she is older.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 1:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Don't tell its wrong explain its private. That its ok behind closed door-bedroom,bathroom ect but not out in open.Talk with her maybe theirs reason she could have itch-not be wiping good or detergent irrates it ect
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 11:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• She's not too young. Especially if you haven't talked about it with her. She has a part of her body that has extra nerves that feels different. She doesn't understand why. I had my first orgasm at 9 it wasn't until we had class in junior high that taught us that if adults touch you there its bad that i started to make any kind of connection of sexuality or the need to be discreet.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• As long as she does it in private, it's fine. Just let her know that it's something she needs to do in private.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• she does do it in private, unfortuantly i usually walk in to do something at that point.... guess knocking and giving her space is needed huh? she just seems so young.
    i dont want this to lead to her being 'active' at a young age... so many thoughts....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• how do i even start a converstation like that? my son is older and doesnt (that i know of) do any of this...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I guess my views are a little different... I can remember being as young as 5 or 6 and exploring and I didn't lose my virginity until highschool. The thing is my exploring opened me up to so much more than just being in my room and having my own "privacy"...btw I had no privacy, I would sneak and "explore" during nap time or whatever...and I can say that I was more sexually aware than most all my life just from being by myself. I do not think an 8 year old should be given the opportunity to have "privacy" to play around with themselves. I guess it seems and sounds a little weird. Not bashing or being harsh...just know the things I struggled with growing up and maybe it could have been a little easier if my mom talked to me about that in particular...cause BELIEVE ME we had the sex talk!
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 12:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2011