Americans are angry at God, is it common?

If you've ever responded to tragedy by raging at God, you're not alone. A new study finds that anger at God is a common emotion among Americans.

The anger often stems from the belief that God is responsible for bad experiences, according to the research, which is published in the January issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. But anger isn't an indication that someone is turning his or her back on God, said study researcher and Case Western Reserve University psychologist Julie Exline.

"People can be angry at God while still feeling love or respect toward God," Exline told LiveScience. "In other words, the feelings are not mutually exclusive."

Religious rage

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• What I do not understand is when those who profess the loudest about their faith, are often the ones who seemingly lean on their belief system the least when life hands them trials and tribs- at least in my personal experience. If one is so connected to and inspired by their faith and their faith based community, wouldn't that be the first (and obvious) place where one would flock to draw strength, encouragement and support????

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• May as well be angry at the Easter Bunny
    Anonymous

• Angry at God? Well it makes as much sense as the fact that people blame Bush for everything since the fall of man.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• "People can be angry at God while still feeling love or respect toward God," Exline told LiveScience. "In other words, the feelings are not mutually exclusive."

If someone believes that God is in control of everything then the anger is understandable.  I get angry with my kids at times, but I still love them no matter what.  How is that different?  I don't think it's a matter of being selfish or resentful that you don't get the life that you want.  How about when someone dies?  If you were to lose your DH it would be normal to feel angry.  If you religiously believe that God calls people 'home', then feeling the sacrifice of a loved one is understandable.  I don't think it means that religious people are an angry people.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It's quite selfish to be angry at god for not getting the life you expected.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• God is not at fault yet people do blame Him for a lot of things. Americans seem to have the need to shift blame rather than get on their knees and pray for their nation and the people in their lives and build a relationship with Father Son and Holy Spirit who loves them so.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yawn.
    Anonymous

• I have never been angry with God, I may not understand his reasons for certain things that have happened in my life. For example when my mom passed away when I was 14 and when I miscarried a little over a month ago. I just have to have faith in his decisions and know that he knows exactly what he is doing and has other plans for me. Tramatic situations tend to bring me closer with God rather than making me feel anger towards him.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• While it appears to be a normal reaction, I'm not certain I understand it ~ at least from people who either have strayed or have never opened themselves to God's path for them. Those who truly follow God's word, who live according to his wishes; they may question things or feel grief and pain, but they still trust in him.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2011