Better to have a Large or Small wedding? Financially speaking..

My guy likes the concept of a smaller more intimate wedding with his immediate family and mine only but as for me, like a typical lady I think, I want a larger wedding. His idea is hey lets do a small intimate wedding thats less expensive so we can do a nice long honeymoon vacation and mines lets do a huge wedding and a small honeymoon thing. He's a great guy just very practical and wants to have some savings after marriage is said and done rather than us going broke to have the wedding of "my dreams". Would love some input on this!

GroceryMom

Asked by GroceryMom at 12:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• Financially speaking, a smaller one of course.
    Anonymous

• financially a smaller wedding.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• small and you looking bueatiful! :)
    deyrita09

Answer by deyrita09 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Small wedding, I hate to see couple have huge wedding then start their life together in debt.
    Agree with other answer you can have nice size wedding on budget just pay attention to details-Do you need all those flowers, Can you get your drees off rack at one of sales.
    We had a nice size wedding but we did alot ourselves to save-me and girls made favors,got dress at sale,rented fir hall for reception, there are alot of nice cheaper options GOOD LUCK
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 12:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My wedding wasn't huge. It was intimate, about 40 people and cost around 6k all said and done. It was great, I loved it and having just the very most important people there... BUT, now after learning a little more if I were to do it again I would forgo the sit-down expensive dinner and all that and just rent out a room at a community center or someplace and do cheap food, splurge on photography and hire a good DJ. It's like when you're pregnant and you have all these big dreams in your head about what it's supposed to be like and how everything has to be perfect... then the reality is, well, a reality. It will never be "perfect". Focus on the important stuff. Good friends and family, good music, good time... No one will remember the centerpieces or the food.

Let go of your idealism and you should be able to find a compromise between having a "big" wedding and staying within a smaller budget.

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• OR, not sure if this is something you've thought about... but a destination wedding can be a TON of fun. Ours was semi-destination... it was about 4 hours from home, but just staying in the same hotel as everyone and basically making a week of it we had a blast. I;m happy with my wedding for that reason, but I would cut back on the fancy stuff next time to save money and stress. Oh, and hire a better photographer!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• small wedding with just family. I was so nervous in front of everyone and that was just family. Also no matter the wedding size it is the wedding that counts. Or have a small wedding and then do sort of an openhouse for family and friends with cake,etc and people could leave off gifts,etc.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Financially, and for me personally, I'd rather have a smaller wedding and a nice honeymoon. I've never seen the point of spending every dime a couple has on what bascially amounts to a party. I guess I'm not typical because I wasn't looking forward to the wedding as much as the marriage and our life together. Might just be me though.
    Anonymous

• Your fiance is absolutely right!  I've been married 22 years to a practical man like that.  As a result, we now live in a nice home (that is almost paid for)  but it was tough getting together the down payment for our first home and the mortgage payments were a lot tougher in the early years.  My husband is 12 years away from retirement, we have investments, retirement plans and savings for our children's education (my oldest will be going to university in Sept).  We are looking good for retirement, thanks to him and we didn't start off our marriage paying for the wedding.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You can have a small wedding and it still be nice.Think about this, a wedding is just one day out of the rest of your life.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011