should I have help with the housework!?

Okay so my husband has a full time job throughout the week, I have a part time job but mostly I am at home with our son. My husband comes home and takes his shirt and socks off and just leaves them in the living room. He leaves his dishes wherever he eats or drinks, and he either sleeps or surfs the internet after he gets off from work. I have to do all the housework and with our son it becomes triple work sometimes. I get exhausted. if something isnt done when my husband gets home he complains and says I don't do anything! Should I be complaining or is it all my place to clean every thing in the house? or do you think he should help?.

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I'm not a maid, not is this 1960. Everyone is perfectly capable of cleaning up after themselves and pulling their weight around here.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• at the very least he can pick up after himself! My husband and I have a lot of issues, but he absolutely helps out. Granted sometimes they just don't realize how messy they are, but leaving socks out? Eww. And dirty dishes? Tell him you saw a mouse eating off his plate...
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 12:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I MOSTLY TAKE OUT THE TRASH my grandpa would be utterly angry if he knew that...that he thinks is only a mans job
    tiffandgene2009

Comment by tiffandgene2009 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• just bitch until he gets sick of hearing it and picks his crap up. o what am I saying, I have been bitching for 8 years and mine still wont pick up after himself....lol He wont say a thing to me if he comes home to a messy house though.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 12:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My hubby has set jobs that he does every night and more on weekends. And that is with his three hr a day commute! He didn't used to pick up after himself, but I told him that if he couldn't behave like a responsible adult then he would be treated like one of the kids. He called my bluff and then noticed that his things weren't where he left them (they were confiscated like i do when the kids leave stuff out). He was also made to use plastic/paper products instead of the china, silverware and cups.
    His tune changed and he noticed that a happier wife means a happier life for him!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 12:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Home & family definitely require teamwork. I went through that for over 2 decades with my ex. 2 decades too long, for sure! So glad he's the EX! My SO and I are always doing the house stuff together. After I cook dinner, he races to get the table cleared before I can even think about touching it. He rinses the dishes & puts them in the dishwasher. He says that I put all the effort into cooking, it's the very least he can do. Everything around the house is done with teamwork, just as it should be.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• He has a family, not a kingdom. Stop picking up after him. Do yours and the babies stuff and let his sit. Everyone should clean after themselves. Yes, some of the balance is on you because you are there more..but he should NOT be treated like he has a title.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think since I don't work, the house is my job, but when my husband is being a slob or our dd is making it impossible to get things done I ask for help. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to have a few things to do around here, but I do most of it. When we were both working full time, we both cleaned the house. Now mostly he will just take the trash out and clean the bathroom, occasionally he'll help me with floors or laundry. If you need help, ask for it. He lives there too adn it shouldn't be that unreasonable for him to help you out when you need it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I do ask for help when I need it which is all the time Cause he never does anything he wont even just look after our son so I can get things done
    tiffandgene2009

Comment by tiffandgene2009 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• sounds like my SO. he also works FT. i just started a PT job. I'm still the "homemaker" and have tons of cleaning to do. I clean the same areas over and over to the point where other areas of the house are ignored so our house is so cluttered. SO helps out once in a blue moon. In fact this christmas he made the kitchen sparkle and my first night at work I came home to a sparkling master bedroom. I was IN SHOCK! His efforts were short lived though lol. But yes he should help you! Afterall he lives there too. If he finishes a meal, HE needs to put the dish in the sink or dishwasher. if the dishwasher is full he needs to unload it or turn it on. Doesnt tak years, just minutes! he has that time. I understand my SO is exhausted after a long work day but he should still help out more. DS is almost 3 and does a better cleaning job! I'm with him most of the day and I clean the best I can so he has a good example LOL
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2011