• In the Spotlight:

wanna see some underground spaces? Who knew...

http://whoknew.news.yahoo.com/?nc&vid=23734028

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sweet you gotta watch more History Channel - they have several specials about this kind of thing - I love them!

Several video clips ;-)
    http://www.history.com/shows/cities-of-the-underworld/videos#cities-of-the-underworld-draculas-underground

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I knew. I read a book about them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Minnesota

There are some pedestrian tunnels to get from building to building during harsh weather. The tunnels are marked with signs reading, "The Gopher Way".

The Minneapolis campus is located near Interstates 94 and 35W and is bordered by the Minneapolis neighborhoods of Dinkytown (on the north), Cedar-Riverside (on the west), Stadium Village (on the southeast), and Prospect Park (on the east).

Two light-rail stations have been proposed to serve the University along the proposed Central Corridor light-rail line. Stations have been proposed on the East Bank and the West Bank.

kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• That's interesting...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yeah, didn't Biden boast about the US Capitol "Greenbrier" bunkers while on the campaign trail?! LOL

I've read or watched about most of those underground spaces--I love the History and Discovery channel (we'll see if Oprah kills the latter)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Was that "Life After Humans" or something like that where they show the decades passing by and how nature reclaims what we've left once we're 'gone'? That was pretty interesting - I like their 'projection' of how other animals might continue to evolve etc...

The town in PA that's been on fire for decades? That is crazy! I can't fathom there isn't a way to stop that!

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• They have underground tunnels/passageways at the University of Minnesota---they connect classroom buildings , the student union,and the hospital and medical school. When I was a student there years ago, I walked throught them in the winter when it was below zero...some of my classes were a mile away from the Dorm and I reallty appreciated the tunnels. They were kinda spooky too----dimly lit, low ceilings. If you were claustrophobic ,they would be scary.But the campus was huge and the winters are cold.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Beachmama

There was a real cool one awhile ago about what would happen to the world if there were no more people

And there was a town that was basicall abandoned because underground was on fire

When I can, I watch....my daughter does too
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Studied Architecture in college.. I knew.... underground cities/catacombs... Visited a few in Europe in the '90's....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011