How do you not let yourself get hurt by your in laws?

I have been with my Dh for 7 years. In the begining all was peachy until I learned all he warned me about. To be honest I am not fond of any of them except 1 sister and 1 aunt but I am very nice to them. There has been lots of dissagreements on things in the past that has led up to this most with me choosing how I wanted my kids parented which is litereally night and day with my parenting vs theres.

Even though I am not fond of them my children are around there grandma an aunts alot..thats one thing I can say is that there grandma adores them. But I still get hurt feelings by seeing my kids aunts favor the other nephews and neice. My daughter is turning 1 and they litereally act like she doesnt exist where my son is 5 and they adore him.

Last night I found out that one of the SIL is helping throw a baby shower for my BIL gf who is due next mnth...and I cant help but be hurt cause she didnt even go to my daughters baby shower, ever buy her a gift, or go to the hospital the 4 days I was there and all this was i nthe same small city she lives in.

I cant help but be hurt and dissapointed cause I have been nothing but nice and I guess I just feel bad and I want to not let it get to me and not care but I dunno why I cant and why it hurts me so much

NIKKIANDYBABY

Asked by NIKKIANDYBABY at 12:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• How do you NOT get hurt? By realizing that the SIL is a big douche bag. You are doing your best by your family and that's all that you can do. You can't change someone...the only thing you can control is how YOU react. The simple fact that your DH warned you about all of this proves that it's not you and it's not in your head. Let it go. Invite her to family functions and that's it. Just keep being the great momma that you are. Good luck.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thank You! I guess I just dont want my kids to feel less than the rest you know? And I thought that it was a bitch move that she didnt even come to leilanis baby shower ive been i nthat fam 6 yrs and shes helping throw a shower for someone whos been i nthe fam 7 mnths =/
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Comment by NIKKIANDYBABY (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I feel you sister....my MOTHER didn't come to mine...or my little girls' baptism, or send a birthday gift, or a christmas present. You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family...do the best to surround your immediate family with love so your LO's will know what unconditional love is.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• im sorry mama i hope it all works out for you
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Girl I feel for you I have In laws just like this, I don't let them bother me and I have pretty much put most of them out of mine & my kids life, what was the point in having mean ,hurtful,drama filled people that were toxic around my family, now I am happy & carefree..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 2:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011