Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

dh's ex wants to claim son on taxes but never payed child support and barely see him. . .

ok so my Dh's son lives with us has been living with us for over a year now and his mom never payed us child support never helped with him in any way she comes and gets him for a night every couple of months and she just sent DH a text this AM asking if she could claim my ss on her taxes ! I'm in total shock she said it would help her get back on her feet and get a house I'm not fond of her as it is the way she treats ss and all that she has her dd living with her and thats it if she didn't go out to the bar and spend $100.00 then leave a $25.00 tip she would be on her feet I know this b/c my sister works at the bar and is her waitress but I want so input from other people what do you thing about her asking this and what would you say or do ? I know I'm ready to fly off the handle and tell her exactly what I think about her

Answer Question

Asked by msh88 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 13 (1,327 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • I think you're right but I also think you should stay out of it and let your husband deal with her.

    Answer by skittles1108 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • Yikes.. you should get that spelled out in the divorce decree! I know one lady that has never even raised her kids, and even though they are in their twenties, she is still claiming them. When the 20 year old went to do her taxes, guess what?? It showed she had already been claimed. She missed out on thousands of dollars because of her mother! Ugh. I made sure that was included in my divorce decree, but sometimes people choose to do every other year.

    Answer by m-avi at 12:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • Tell her no, you guys need to claim him b/c he lives under your roof, not hers

    Answer by beyondhopes at 12:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • If the child lives with you more than half of the year, you & your husband claim the child. Not the ex. I would politely tell the mother that you are claiming the child on the taxes, not her. If she doesn't like that, tell her to get over it. The only problem you might encounter is having to file your taxes before she can file hers. If she claims the child before you can file, you are going to have to mail in your return & wait weeks for your refund. Good luck!

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • As much as I would love to see you tell her off, it might backfire on you. I think you should talk to your DH and tell him exactly how you feel and what you think should be done. Let him make the decision though, and deal with her.

    I think it is ridiculous that she is trying to pull that one on you and you should try to get your DH to tell her no. I hope he can see through her like you can!

    Answer by Dalimonster at 12:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • Tell your husb to tell her to pound sand! That's just absurd! The nerve of some people.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • Dont let her do it. I made the same mistake. my DD's father has been in and out of her life and told me the exact same thing "that it would help him get back on his feet" well i let him do it so he took the 2,200 he got back from taxes and put a down payment on a car well he never paid any payments on the car and lost his job so the car got repo'd and now he is right back where he started and i'm out 2,200 that i could have gotten on my taxes last yr.

    FYI: My DD's father doesnt see her or pay any child support.
    Luckily I am married and my DD has a wonderful stepdad now.

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • thanks for all ya'lls answers I am going to wait for my DH and let him talk to her but he has catered to her ever since I met him I really think that this is the last time if he lets her have her this time too I'm taking my 3 babies and going to my Dad's lol it amuses me and I can't figure out what it is about his ex he payed her 90 a week child support plus worked on her car and gave her extra money when ever she asked for it and then when he moved in wiht us he refused to make her pay child support they were never married so there is no divorce papers for custody or child support but in a very interesting conversation he made perfectly clear that he would not pay me child support ever he would sit in jail instead sorry ya'll this was just supposed to be thank you lol

    Comment by msh88 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • Legally, to claim the child on your taxes they have to have lived with you for more than half the year.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 1:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • It's the parent who the child is with 60% or more of the time

    Answer by JLS2388 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.