Predators & stranger danger...

Do you teach your children about stranger danger & what is and isn't ok for someone to say or do? Do you teach them about predators & about their body parts & let them know that it is not ok for someone to touch them in an inappropriate way & if something does happen to speak up and not be afraid? Do you think they understand? And when do you think is an appropriate age to start teaching them? I do teach my kids all of these things and am not afraid to do so. I try to be as honest as possible not trying to sugarcoat it & let them know the real dangers out there. But is not something i try to drill into them like a Sergeant or scare them because they are still young but i want them to be aware. They are all under the age of 5 & i do believe my oldest has a very good understanding.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We talk about it. They know about stranger danger and they know about 'bad people' They know about private areas. Not only have we talked about it with them but so has their ped. Every time she lays hands on them she reminds them that no adult should ever touch them there unless mommy and daddy are there and say it's okay.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• yes but I dont teach them to live their lives in fear, either
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I didn't stress too much "stranger danger".. I stressed good touch, bad touch.. Children are more likely to be molested by close friends and family than a stranger..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My kids are young also but I will tell my kids to trust themselves first and to trust me and hubbs. Do not trust the person who hurt them. I will believe my child and help them. As far as prevention, I will go over all the scenarios.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• We don't teach stranger danger. My son knows to not go with anyone even people he knows without our permission. If someone tries to grab him he is to take his giant head and aim for the persons nose and run to the nearest person who can help him. Stranger danger has harmed too many children leaving them afraid of the people who could help them.
    Anonymous

• We bought that video The Safe Side. My kids loved it and watched it over and over and over. They talk about it often and tell their friends about it. I really liked the way the video taught my children to react to strangers, and that opened the conversations about other kinds of danger.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes I do. We teach them "red flag & green flag" touches and when it is and isn't okay to talk to people they don't know. We feel it's important to teach them how to interact in the real world without putting themselves in a danger spot.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• IDK maybe I'm naive but I don't think this is quite as prevalent as we think it is due to the 24/7 news cycle. If my children were older and doing things on their own more than perhaps I'd be more concerned; but at this point (5 & 3) they're never anywhere w/out me other than the oldest is at school where I drop her off and pick her up - so there's not really a point in stressing them out about worries or fears just yet - I guess I'm letting them grow up innocent of all that until it's absolutely necessary; ie: at the point they're walking to school on their own or coming home to an empty house etc...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• We don't do full out "stranger danger" like today's paranoid parents do it. We don't tell our kids that every stranger (someone they've never met) is out to get them. Most strangers are good people and want to help kids. We teach our kids to look out for situations that make them uncomfortable and to never go with anyone unless we've told them they can before hand. We also teach them to scream, kick, hit and make a huge scene if someone does try to do anything that scares them. I don't believe there are evil people around every corner and, honestly, I don't really worry about kidnappings and stuff. My kids are free-range and wander all over our neighborhood just like I did as a kid. They are learning common sense and street smarts like I did. I survived the mean streets of Chicago. I think my kids can handle a small town in suburban Washington State.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Just an FYI-- over 70% of sexual assults of children are by someone they know well..parent, grandparent, family, friend, etc. 51% of abductions are by someone the child knows...usually a parent. It is more likely that someone they know will harm them than a stranger.

I taught good touches, bad touches, strangers, etc. But I wasn't paranoid. I taught my son that NO ONE touches him but me or the doctor and only to make sure there is nothing wrong. He knows that if ANYONE makes him uncomfortable he is to tell me or his doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2011