Sometimes to be a good mom, do you think you have to be mean? I do....

Too me it was mean and hopefully that will end next week, today, my kids would not get up after calling them, rubbing there back 3 strikes your out.... So I squirted them with the water bottle... OMG< i felt so mean... My son woke up right away and looked at me, my teen screamed but woke up, my 11 year old whined but woke up and my 9 year old was the first out of bed. one squirt is all it took ok, maybe two or three.

I told them we can do this every day if you don't want to get up.....

Listen, last night they giggled in bed most of the night, then the woke up to play at 4 am, 4:30 am, 5:30 am, I am so done with the non sense, daddy works nights and right now we are separated trying to work it out, and they totally ignore me... From this day fourth they are going to hear me loud and clear with out screaming nonsense.....

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• You go girl! Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold on to!
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 12:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• sometimes you do have to use hard love to get things thru
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I can understand how you felt it was mean, but it really wasn't. It was just showing them that mom is smarter than they are and is going to be firm when she says do something and is going to let them know there are consequences to their actions and isn't going to let them get away with things.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Ha. I don't think that was actually mean. I agree that sometimes to be a good mom you have to make some very unpopular decisions.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Go Momma!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I call it the "Mommy essence" . I got it down to where a look is all it takes for the kids to get the idea. Now they just try to do what it takes to avoid the eyes lest what comes after the look. Still trying to incorporate it with the 2 y/o girl and boy is it quite a battle. I think I'll try other tactics for her. Otherwise we mommies all have the "Mommy essence" so yield it...yield it well.ninja

mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 1:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I want the look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any tips for anything else??? Like getting it together in the morning....

KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes! In the words of Elvis Costello:
    You have to be cruel to be kind in the right measure
    Cruel to be kind is a very good sign
    Cruel to be kind means that I love you
    You have to be cruel to be kind

Admittedly, I don't think he was referring to parenting, but it works! My girls love and adore me and we have a great time together, but they also know that I'm in charge and that I can be "mean" if they aren't behaving ;)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You don't seem mean at all. i am . My kids call me Dragon Mom and my husband once told me I was Hell on High Heels.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Take a lesson from Pavlov... After a few times of this they will get it and start getting up before you have to squirt them haha
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2011