How long should a child have home work? Grades 1st, 2nd, 5th and 8th. How to keep each focused????

I have a 1st grader, 2nd grader, 5th grader, and 8 th grader.

Usually the 1st, 2nd and 5th need help or at least study help....

How can I find time for each of them, and what is enough time to do there homework.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• This is something you might be able to try.....give the elementry kids a snack after school and as they are eating their snack your 8th grader works on her homework and when she is done she helps you with the younger ones if they need help. Usualy in elementry there is no more then an hour of homework. They should be able to do most of their homework on their own and then come to you if they are having trouble with a question so you are not doing most of the work. You should be able to look over their homework and be able to judge about how long it will take them to finish it. This way you do not have to sit with them the whole time. As far as keeping them focused on just their work they should be sitting at the table with no tv on. Maybe some music in the background (it always helped me rather then it being silent). Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• its difft for every kid. Mine has Autism and cant do it for long. We do it for a 1/2 hour which is all he can mentally handle then the rest just has to be made up at school.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• homework is a pain.......I just have a 1st grader doing it, and it takes almost an hour somenights...my daughter is in kinder and I dont want to think about the pain it will be next year when they both have that much
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 1:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2011