my daughter is always asking if people will think she is pretty...she is 4 should I worry?

I tell my little girl she is beautiful all the time because I think she is...I tell her she is clever and sweet all the time too for the same reason, but I have noticed that she has become really obsessed with how she looks...she is always asking if her clothes are pretty or if people she hasn't met yet will think she is pretty or if people she already knows think she is pretty...it just seems like a major focus for her and I really dont want to raise a young lady that is always worried about outward apearences or that is self obsessed ya know...she is almost 4 years old so I don't know if I am jumping the gun on being concerned or not any advice ladies?

pregoagain2010

Asked by pregoagain2010 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think I would just focus on teacher her that it doesn't matter... that she is beautiful, but what is more important than how she looks is what is on the inside... that she is kind and loving and that is what makes her REALLY beautiful.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I wonder about that too. My daughter is in kindergarten and they were supposed to write down one thing they like about themselves and she said that she was pretty. Another was about what her favorite feature was and she said, her long hair. She's a pretty 'girly-girl' so I am trying to focus on some other aspects to help compensate. I am glad she doesn't have any negative self image ideas right now. That will come, I am sure.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• thank you for your answer amijanell I will certainly keep teaching her about inner beauty and I hope that will be enough and jambo4 I am glad to hear that other mothers have similar concerns...she is still very young and I certainly hope she can keep her undoubted confidence through her adolecent years altough I know that is unlikely other than that I guess I just keep talking about whats inside and let her develope how she will...thank you
    pregoagain2010

Comment by pregoagain2010 (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2011