Terminating parental rights? (long story)

Have you ever had your little ones father's parental rights terminated? My DD is 4 and i am married now and have 2 more children. My husband treats my oldest DD as his own and he wants to adopt her. My DD's father went to jail when she was 4 months old ( he was charged with 6 felonies for assault) he got out when she was almost 2. He got a job and so i agreeed to let him keep her every weekend fri night - sunday. Then he met this girl and started forgetting to pick her up. I would call him and he would say "oh i thought today was thursday i'll just get her next week, i'm busy".

Well he ended up getting his girlfriend preg and turns out they were both on drugs and when she had the baby(4 months ago) it was taken away form both of them (they couldnt pass a drug test and neither have a job) and the poor baby was born addicted to oxy cotin. Last year he was charged with 2 misdemeanor thefts and one for shoplifing. He has been back to jail about 4 more times and hasnt worked in over a yr.

My DD is 4 and he has NEVER paid me ANY child support. He didnt get her anything for her birthday or christmas. We were never married so in TN the law says that i have full custody of her. ( i talked to a lawyer) its going to cost $2,500 just to get the papers for him to sign if he doesnt agree to it then it could cost up to 10,000. He isnt a fit parent at all and last yr he only saw her maybe 4-5 times(he came to our house i would NEVER let him keep her EVER again).

She doesnt even know he is her dad she calls my husband daddy(we got married when she was just 10 months old so he is all she's ever known).

My question is...Have any of you moms had to go through this and if you did how complicated is the process, how long did it take? Was it worth it or since i already have full custody and he doesnt see her anyways should i just leave things the way they are?? thanks sorry its so long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• Im not sure but I gave you a bump for good LUCK!!! Hope it all works out, sounds like her REAL daddy is your husband.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You'd have to check your state statutes or call CPS. They might be able to tell you since they deal a lot with severing parental rights. Since they have taken the other child away they may be helpful in what you want

Answer by admckenzie at 1:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Child support is irrelevant, but depending on your state's law his lack of contact for a certain period of time could be considered abandonment and grounds for terminating his rights. If I were in your position I would try talking to a different attorney as those fees seem high. It was about 11 years ago that I had my ex-husband's parental rights terminated and my attorney fees were between $500 and $1000 at that time.

Anonymous

• unfortunately in the eyes of the courts payment of child support and visitation have nothing to do with parental rights
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It's worth it when she turns a teenage and he comes back into her life as her poor pitiful father trying to get money to feed his habit.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2011