How do you get your family to help out around the house?

We have "Helping Hands." I traced my hand on heavy cardstock. On the palm of the hand I wrote a room/area of the house. On each finger I put a job that needs to be done in that room (including some jobs that are easily neglected, like wiping baseboards). I laminated the hands and put a piece of clear velcro under the writing on each palm. I stuck each palm to a foam board ring (making a sort of wreath). All the hands are identical on the side that we see. Every night after dinner we each pick a hand. We set a timer for 10 minutes. Everyone works for 10 minutes getting as much done as they can. It helps tremendously! On weekends and holidays, etc. we do this 2 or 3 times a day.

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 1:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• That is a very good idea! I have assigned my son chores to do. He has his list that he checks off on the fridge. I think I might steal your idea. Thanks!
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thats a great idea! I usually do all of the housework except for my 12 year old who does the dishes. :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have a huge whiteboard in my laundry room with chores listed for each of my kids. Some of them are daily chores (putting away clothes, picking up their "toys," etc) and others are weekly. Those have to be done, but they can also rack up "chore points" and after 5 points they get a $1 - those are the extra things around the house, like baseboards, or dusting light fixtures, etc. My 9 and 10 year olds are usually begging for chores to rack up their points!

Answer by missanc at 2:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Oh, my kids have their own chores, and my husband and I have things that we are normally in charge of too. But keeping house is a ton of work, and it's very easy to get behind. This is how we keep it fun and "equal" and don't let things slip too far.
    misses_nick

Comment by misses_nick (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• That sounds like a great idea! My kids are all teens and are pretty good about doing housework when they're asked. Not too much grumbling! When they were younger, we had a weekly chore chart that they followed and everyone, boy and girls, learned to do laundry, wash dishes, clean the bathrooms, run the vacuum, etc., etc.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2011