Do you feel that being a godly woman/wife means that you must be subservient to your husband?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 1:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't. I believe God calls spouses to be equally loving and respectful to one another, that in putting each other first we're really both on the same level, since as I lift him up and put his needs before mine he does the same for me and we're both lifted up in the same love. Its a relationship of equality and mutuality. Any truly godly husband would understand that. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No. I feel it means to respect him, be loyal to him, and be his partner thru all of lifes trials. Together, as a team.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No I don't think respecting your husband is equivalent to being subservient. The bible says that women will leave her mother and father to become one with her husband they will multiply and populate the world. Becoming one with someone I think is a big word, it is dealing with yourself twice. When you view your husband as your own self I believe you will want to do for him what you will want anybody to do for you without exigencies that he becomes what you want him to be, but be the best he can be as believer and a child of God.
    labeaute

Answer by labeaute at 1:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Not subservient, submissive. But my husband is also supposed to love me as Christ loved the Church - which is a love so great, so incredible that most of us can't even comprehend! If my husband loves me that much, and I know he tries, he is only going to have my best interest in mind, going to want to know my desires, going to work to give me the things/make the decisions that will benefit me. In my eyes, I have it made! I don't mind letting my husband make the decisions in our house, because I know that what he chooses is always going to be done with my best interest in mind. Generally, I won't put myself first, but my husband always does (well, God first and then me), so his decisions are better for me than my own.

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• yuck, that word subserviant sucks! I think that to be a godly woman/wife means to take care of those you love, not to be a servant to anyone. That word reminds me of being a slave or a maid.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Ugh, no way! I should love, support, and respect him, and I should expect the same from him. We work together to make decisions that are best for us and our family.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• "The bible says that women will leave her mother and father to become one with her husband"

It actually says that a man will leave his father and mother, not a woman - unless you know of a verse I don't?

Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I agree with missanc, it's that a man should leave his father and mother. I feel that being a servant really isn't that big of a deal - people have all kinds of "servant" jobs - ask anyone in the service industry. I think we give the word a bad connotation, but really, for me it just means doing things for the people I love and putting their needs before my own. I don't think that's asking too much.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No way, this woman does not have a submissive bone in her body!

Answer by older at 1:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• That sounds like it is a line for a man to get what he wants and made up to get control of his woman... sad actually. Thank the gods for that "man" he was never married to my grandmother.. she would have introduced him to the backside of her iron skillet... and then the bottom of her purse.. and then her shovel.. and the broom....maybe even given him a facial with an entire pot of bubbling tomato sauce.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 2:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2011