would it know

yesterday we had to give up our dog n sadly he was put down he had mange, but i feel like its my fault i never even touched him or anything to say goodbye, cos i just couldnt but i feel bad poor little thing i just wished we had caught it in time to treat i feel like i neglected him even i never did just one of those things i guess but being pregnant dont help with feelings, i know its a silly question but would he know that i loved him n that i'll never forget him

angelbaby1323

Asked by angelbaby1323 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Pets

• I am sorry for the loss of your dog.......... of course, he knew that you loved him- i'm not sure why he would have to be put to sleep b/c he had Mange? it is usually very treatable- what reason did the vet give you for putting him down?

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 2:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• it was too far gone that it would have costed us an arm n leg to treat it n we just didnt have that kind of money so he said the only other way is to put him to sleep so he dont suffer anymore cos it wasnt fair on him
    angelbaby1323

Comment by angelbaby1323 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'm so sorry you had to go through that while you were pregnant. It definitely doesn't help the emotions of the situation. Believe me though, if you were good to your pet before this, even if you couldn't touch him during his passing, they know you love them. They look at you like their guardian, and that's what you are. You made the best decision for him considering the circumstances.

I had to put down my cat of 18 years because of kidney failure and horrible arthritis. I felt guilty for such a long time afterward because I had her when I was young and then as I went to highschool and college I didn't have as much time for her in my life. As she got older she became more my moms cat than mine because I was out socializing or whatever. But I was there when we had to put her down. I don't think I have ever cried so hard as I did then. I had a dream later that she forgave me and that she felt bad because she had to go.

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Long story I know, but I know how you feel. Don't beat yourself up over it too badly. He was loved by you when he was here on this earth and you gave him the most optimal life you could and in the end spared him of horrible pain. You protected him. He would thank you if he could.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• yeah i done my best for him, n thats all anyone can do for their pets he was a handful but all pups are but he was so great with my daughter always made her smile but then when it got bad she would cry n he never once showed me he was in any pain i think to make it easier for me but i know we done what was best for him, my husband went and brought me a new pup a golden lab to try n make me feel better and he knows i've always wanted a golden lab
    angelbaby1323

Comment by angelbaby1323 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If you didn't have the money to treat that puppy why would you buy another one? Labs are a bigger breed and will need more in terms of food, excercise, toys, vet bills, worming, flea treatments...everything than your other puppy.

Im sure you're the person who was asking about getting the puppy rehomed because you couldn't care for it now you are pregnant...so why get another one when you are still pregnant?

Im not trying to bash, i just get so frustrated. Dogs (especially puppies) are hard work, and need a lot of effort, money and time spent on them to ensure they grow up happy healthy and obedient. I just worry that in a few months time you'll be wanting to rehome that new puppy.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'm sorry but I can not be sympathetic. You put a dog to sleep for something that is treatable!!! It is not that expensive to treat mange either. If you could not afford to treat the last dog how are you going to afford this dog?Labs are big dogs so meds, surgerys and everything else will be more expensive. Wonder how long with will before this dog will be rehomed.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• OP please tell me you are a bored teenager.
    You killed your dog because you couldn't afford to treat it, and it take mange a while before it becomes so bad that you have to PTS the dog. So, you ignored the plight your dog was in because you didn't have money to treat it, so you go out and get a new dog? How on earth are you going to be able to feed that one? AND, there is no such thing as a Golden Lab.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i watch animal cops all the time and in my little bit of knowledge mange is from bad living conditions and neglect right? i do anything for my pets so i would use my credit card if i could not afford treatment. i would not put my beloved furbaby down. i hate when i hear pregnancy as an excuse for bad judgement. i have a lab and have spent around 1000 since sept on shots, ear infection,more shots, spaying,blood testing etc. maybe you should rethink a new dog until life calms down. dogs are not cheap and the bigger they are the more they cost. pets are part of the family and should be treated like one.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• he ran away from our house n we found him a few days ago like that but when we took him the vet said that he wouldnt make it past treatment it was too far gone in him so the vets said only thing they could do was put him to sleep than let him suffer, he wasnt neglected he was loved the best i could love him anyway cos i was constantly ill for a while with this pregnancy that i did get put on bed rest, i have another big dog so if it was from poor living conditions n neglect then he would have it too n so would my cat, he ran away like 4 weeks ago n we told the police n pictures up n we found him sunday night lost most his fur but we knew it was him from the collar n the tag
    angelbaby1323

Comment by angelbaby1323 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011