im about to lose my mind! I need support! Could i not be cut out to be a mom?

ok so here lately i just feel so stressed and have so much anger building up! My son who is almost three is testing me and just gets on my last nerve! i need help and i want to hear others stories so i can know this is normal. I always tell him things and it seems like he does them just to make me mad and I just want to pull out all my hair! I dotn want to do the wrong thing and not raise him right b/c of how he frustrates me.. ugh i need advice other moms in my shoes!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Been there! You are NOT alone. There have been many times that I have went to my room for a time out and left her yelling at the door.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I totally understand. My son does the same thing. It seems like he does stuff just because I told him not to do it.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• LOL totally normal....sounds like mommy needs a night out with the girls and a glass of wine or 2~ that helps ton
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It's incredibly normal. Find something to get your anger out! Even if it's shutting the door, leaving him (believe me he'll be fine for a few minutes on his own), and then bashing your pillow to pieces. Sounds quite extreme but sometimes they just get on your last nerve. It's what they're made for, as well as cuddles of course!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 1:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You have to set the boundaries and you have to enforce them. You cannot expect your little boy to know how to behave. All he knows how to do is what he wants to do, and he doesn't care right now whether you like it or not. You have to make him care that you are displeased. It's teaching him disrespect of authority to allow him to rule your home. I personally think that nothing works better than spanking a child to make him understand that Mom makes the rules and he is to obey those rules or there will be a little pain involved. You should be able to tell him one time and receive immediate obedience. You spank him just hard enough for it to sting on bare skin. He will cry, and you then just repeat that he must obey his mommy. You can add that you love him too much to allow him to grow up undisciplined. If you will do that and be consistent, you will have a changed boy that you and others can enjoy being with.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You are not alone and its normal. When my son turned 3 I had the hardest time, he went thru such a crabby defiant period, it seemed like for a year, he turned 4 and was this happy kid. Anyways, he totally tested me as a parent, if I should have been a mom, if I was raising him right.

Figure out a few techniques for punishements and stick with them! consistency was huge for us. Take lots of deep breaths, I have locked myself in my room while he had his fits, its ok to walk away while he is doing that.

Also look into the parenting books, love and logic. I took some classes and have books and they helped sooo much! good luck and just remember that your not alone.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 1:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Welcome to motherhood and all the joys! :) That sounds pretty normal. 2/3 year olds are beginning to realize that they want to be independent. So, you say one thing and well they really don't think that is what should happen....its so frustrating. I know it can make me feel crazy somedays. I have a couple ideas.
    1) Try not to react when he is really trying you...he probably like to get a rise out of you....a calm moomy is not nearly as interesting as a yelling mommy.
    2) Start giving choices in a calm voice. "Do you want to walk to the car, or do you want mommy tocarry you. It is time to go." Would you like your milk in the blue cup or the red cup" If they feel empowered then it usually will go smoother. Remember that this may take a bit. Use a calm, but stern voice if needed.
    3) Be super consistant.
    4)Have fun.....take time throughout the day to get down and really play with your child. You will have fun & your L/o 2
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It must be the age. My 3 year old can just drive me loony. When I begin to feel that way I either walk away for a minute or ask hubby to let me get some fresh air while he takes over for an hour or two. Go for a drive, girls night, a bath, etc. You are not alone I promise.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• sorry had to continue.......

5) I would also try to find a mommy play group....a time for you to relax and be with other mommies! Beleive me.....it helps soooooo much!

Good luck....you are NOT alone.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Awww I'm sorry. It's completely normal, don't feel too bad. When I feel like that, I try to remember that he's just a four year old child. I find that sometimes I expect him to be considerate and responsible like an adult. I have to catch myself sometimes and locate myself lol. When he's just being a little butt I just let him be. If it's not something that requires discipline, and he's just in a stinky mood, I let him hang out in his room by himself. He plays with his toys or watches cartoon, and I quietly check on him every few minutes.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 1:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011