My house has been complete chaios (4 kids), nobody is listening-what would you do?

I am exhausted, not lazy.....

How do I keep my self motivated, I don't look forward to going home today... It seems like we get nothing done until 10 pm....

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Get them on a schedule, and when behavior devolves and no one is listening, restrict all privileges until further notice and make them earn them back. We have 5, and you really have to get firm sometimes to keep it from getting out of hand.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I feel like hell by the end of the night, I know I can do it... but I need to find the right schedule or way of doing it... I don't think I will ever get it together...
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I would take away all the extra stuff. The thing they like most first. (cell phone ipods ect.) They can "earn" there stuff back.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I will do that tonight, but then what do I have them do... Maybe clean, yes nothing like a good old cleaning .... :)
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Have you thought about making time for exercise? I know when I get up a few minutes earlier and do my yoga then have my coffee (or soda) my day goes sooo much better.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• The power of chores! lol
    2murphyboys

• I can't get up early, it seems like every time I get to bed on time, I can't sleep all night... OMG< the kids up and down, I don't know why they keep waking up.
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have 5 kids, and I know the feeling well! The trick is getting them to pitch in - I have a big whiteboard in my laundry room where we keep the kids chore chart. Obviously my 6 month old doesn't do chores, but all the rest from the 2 year old up to the 13 year old do according to their ability. Make a reasonable schedule and stick to it. Write down rules and consequences for breaking them (if my kids backtalk, or I have to ask them to do something more than once, that's 10 minutes off their bedtime each time it happens). Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 2:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• What are their ages? I have three boys and my oldest is four. So, believe me I'm right there with you, especially after the holidays. I'm still exhausted! Do you take any vitamins, especially B vitamins?
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My answer for excessive out-of-control energy is good old-fashioned work and exercise too. I make them run laps around the yard or jump on the trampoline for a given amount of time. I also give them hard, laborious chores to do. I've made them scrub the bricks around the flower beds with a tootbrush and a bucket of sudsy water, pick weeds, move everything out of the garage and sweep the floor and remove cobwebs and then put everything back, pull everything out og the pantry and clean the shelves and wipe down the cans and containers and then put it all back...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2011