How do you calculate how much money you need for a road trip?

We are driving 1100 miles to see my best friend for spring break this year and I have never taken such a long road trip before, so I am having a hard time figuring how much money we will need for the whole trip. I want to be sure I over budget, so we do not run out of money... that would totally stink.

So what kind of things do you have in your budget for a long road trip?

We have the money to go, so this is not about how to save the money, but how to calculate how much it will cost.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 2:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Travel

• As far as gas, the price differs when driving that distance. I would just way over estimate and multiply your miles by $4.00 because it could be as much as $3.50 or more in some places. It's $3.09 right now where I live. And then if you are going to eat anywhere along the way, add that in. We have this cooler that is like a fridge, and plus into the van, like where a cell charger plugs in. Best thing we ever bought since we travel a coulple times a year with babies. So milk and things stay where they are supposed to. But your gas and then hotel if you need it are going to be your big expenses. Also have your car checked over before you leave!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Go by how many mpg your car uses and how much your car hold, but then be very, very generous with budgeting gas money because you never know. So for instance if your car uses 30mpg on the highway and holds 15 gallons, that's 450 miles a tank so I'd round it up to at least 3 tanks of gas each way, probably safer to budget at 4. Always better to have money left over! Then I'd say at least $3.50/gallon for gas since it's usually more expensive along the highways, plus it's going to be different whereever you go, etc....you get the picture lol. Are you driving non stop? If not, at least $100 for a hotel. Then at least 3-4 meals, I'd do $15 a person per meal. And then emergency funds or a credit card in case of a flat tire or whatever. Hope this helps, and have fun on your trip!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• ...
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 9:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• To save money we always stock up on sandwich stuff, veggies, fruits, snacks and water and eat at picnic areas and parks as often as possible. We have one of those coolers that you can plug into the cigarette lighter to keep stuff cool. We always budget for at least one meal per day, though, in a restaraunt unless we stay at a hotel that offers breakfast then we just try to eat from our food stash.
    Mapquest has a tool where you plug in approximately how many miles per gallon your car gets, the price of gas and it'll give you the approx amount for each trip so you can budget for gas.
    If you want more money saving tips please PM me and I'll link you to my "roadtripping with children" blog entry.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 11:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011