Would you let your 17 year old daughter get married ?

My 17 year old daughter will be 18 at the end of June ... Her and her fiance has talked to my husband and I and want to get married on april 17th ( it is a special date because not only did my grandparents get married on that day but so did his ! ... It is on a Sunday this year meaning it will be on a weekday next year, and they wont beable to have the big wedding on a weekday.......

If we dont allow her to in April, then they will in June ( after she turns 18) on a not as special day ...

Honestly the only problem we have with it is what people will say about it... we live in a small town and my husband is a well known community member and it is really the only problem we are having with it ( I know that shouldnt be a real reason) ...

- We love her fiance, he is wonderful to her, he also has a great job ( the kind that will doubtfully ever get "shut down"). She also has a very large savings account, that would support her/ them for a long while if something like that ever did happen

- She has spent that last 2 years in a technical school taking cosmetology classes, all she has to do is take the test to get her lisence ( meaning she has a back up plan if it doesnt work out) .

- Plus since I was 17 when my husband and I got married ( and we have had a long happy marriage) , I feel like a hypocrite for not letting her ( especially since my mom tried to not let my husband and I get married )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• From what you've said I would let her. I married at 17. Do I regret it? Not one bit. Does that mean all 17yr olds are ready for marriage? Deffinantly not!!! Some women are just more mature then others. Some honastly dont care for partying and sleeping with a bunch of random men. Getting married young doesnt mean you cant experience life and explore the word. I love my husband now just as much as I didnt when we got married. And Im so happy to know we experienced everything together, I wouldnt have wanted it any other way.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I wouldnt let my DD's.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No. She isn't even grown yet. Kids tend to change their minds on a daily basis. What if she wakes up one day in a few years and realizes she missed out on so much by deciding her future at 17?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I would be personally uncomfortable with it, but that's just because it took me until I was 25 to realize what I wanted and valued in both a man and life.

If she "knows" and you support her- that is what really matters.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You have your mind made up that this is a good marriage. If it will make your families both happy then you should do what is right for yr families
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I would personally just tell her to wait till next year....
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think you are the only one with the information to decide this. Seventeen is soooo very young. But I think there are seventeen-year-old girls who are wise and mature beyond their years who would be very successfully and happily wed. On the other hand, at seventeen, you have no idea what is in the big wide world that you may someday wish to be a part of, or wish you had been free to be a part of.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• They are going to do it anyway, and who cares what others say. I would let her do it, but then again, I have boys lol. Good luck.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think that you shouldn't worry about what other people think. Why shouldn't they get married at 17? Age is no real object when it comes to marriage, you're either ready for it or you aren't and if you know your daughter is ready then I say give the go ahead.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 2:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• is she a virgin?
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2011