landlord question.....how long does he have? we live in nh.

i am happy to say me and dh bought a house in oct when we were renting our landlord was a jacka## he did nothing but collect rent we mowed the lawn plowed all the maitnence anyways he is known for keeping everyones secerity deposits ( yrs ago he told me he spent last tenents and wanted to know if i knew if she was gonna take him to court ) but so far everyone just lets it go because they want to be done with him. it has now been almost 3months and now he isent even returning dhs phone calls ( dh wont let me call because lanlord and me butt heads he dosent like me and i feel the same ) we took care of this place we were dealing w/ it for 4 yrs until we could buy he is a nickle and dime kinda guy. so yes i did vidio tape the house the day we moved out ( kitchen, didningroom, kids room every room ) we really could use the money were running out of propain and husbands work hrs are slow.. what can we do w/ out being "jerks" but were tired of calling and waiting. dh likes the guy.

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Here the law is 30 days from the time you vacate

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Look up Tenant Landlord Act laws for your state. I'd send him a certified letter after I read the law and tell him a deadline for sending it and tell him you'll take him to Court if he doesn't. Small Claims Court is cheap and no need of a lawyer. I had to sue my landlords over the years for that nonsense. They can't keep those deposits.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• thats what i have heard, like i said its been almost 3 months. we cleaned the place buffed the wood floors steamed clean the carpets cleaned fridge freezer. all that was wrong was wear and tear but beleave me even that was nothing. u could tell the stove was used but i even cleaned that.
    tabbys4

Comment by tabbys4 (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• In Chicago Landlords have to deposit security deposits in the a separate savings account and pay the tenant quarterly the interest that is accrued. When you move out they have 30 days to pay you or you can get tenant's rights involved.

Look up your local tenant rights organization.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I would send him a certified letter asking for the return of your deposit. this way you have proof that you contacted him and a signature that shows he recieved it. If he doesnt respond after the letter i would say it is time for either small claims court or a lawyer.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• http://www.rentlaw.com/dep/nhdeposit.htm

(this says the jerk has 30 days)

Answer by admckenzie at 2:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• thank u ladies xo now how would i do a certified letter were would i go to do that?
    tabbys4

Comment by tabbys4 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• for a certified letter just go to the post office and tell them you want to mail it certified...it will give you a tracking number and a signature once it is delivered.. dont forget to make a copy of the letter for yourself as well and keep the reciept from the post office
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• thank u very much.. now if i can get any of u ladies to help me word it..im assumeing i have to write it.lol. and will the post office be able to copy it for me..i dont have a printer. :(
    tabbys4

Comment by tabbys4 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• He will most likely send back a statement of all the "damage" and won't have to give you a dime back. Good luck with this. Probably should have planned better and bought a home when you could actually afford it.
    Anonymous