Would you eat horse meat?

The first Summit of the Horse on Tuesday drew advocates from across the West who slammed animal rights groups and implored the federal government to once again embrace horse meat as a legal source of nutrition, saying it is already safely consumed in dozens of countries.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/05/horses-food-summit-las-vegas_n_804552.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Nope... I love our horses, they are part of the family... It would have to be an extreme case of hunger before I could do that.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i would if we were in the zombie apocalypse and i had to get food where i could!

however, horses would probably be more valuable to ride on
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No. They are intelligent beautiful animals, and there are plenty of other animals to eat.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No. I've heard its very tough because horses are almost all muscle

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Only if I was literally starving to death. I am not a vegetarian, but I am squeamish about certain meats, I won't eat veal, duck, venisen, etc....

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Probably.

I've eaten a lot of different kinds of meat, and have yet to figure out why some meat is 'normal' or 'okay' and others are not. It's kind of like how it's okay to kill carrots but not bunnies for food --like the carrot gave permission? Or it's okay as long as it doesn't have eyes? Or isn't 'cute'?

That last one sometimes appears to be the real issue: if we see the animals as beautiful (or useful, or cute) then they can't be food. It's only ugly, stupid or smelly ones that probably deserve to die.

It seems to me that we are accustomed to having no respect at all for the lives we consume --animal or vegetable-- and we have a lot of difficulty dealing with death and being a part of the life cycle, including ultimately being food for another living being.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I don't know if i have and never say never in a life boat zombie situation yes.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Nope I grew up riding horses and love them dearly. I could not eat them.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No! I would become a vegetarian.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes I would.....I had it before when I was in europe....It is actualy very good and very lean meat.
    Anonymous