What is a youth hostel? Who can stay there? How do they work?

Have you ever stayed at one and what wwas your experiance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Travel

• They are intended as short-term stay, inexpensive 'do it yourself' hotels for single people ... usually who are travelling.

I have never stayed in one, but my daughter did --in London and Glasgow, when she was 17. They have dorms (some have private rooms, some have women-only rooms), kitchens and shared washroom facilities. Some have free breakfast (toast and cereal kind) but lots don't. Some of them belong to world-wide networks, which are cheaper to stay in if you're a member. You can book in advance, and even pay in advance, like a hotel. Many are available online.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• A hostel is typically in Europe but they can be found elsewhere too. It's like a hotel but much cheaper but the thing is you may have to "bunk" with people you don't know. Some may require you to pitch in with cleaning up or other type chores. There are several people who stay there long term, but they are great for short stays as well. I have never stayed in one but if my husband and I ever get the chance to backpack through Europe, then we will probably go that route.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I've been to a couple in Europe but not in the U.S. You might check out this link: http://www.hostels.com/

tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2011