Do you color/highlight your hair at home? Need advice.

So I have enough gray now that I really need to do something w/ my hair color but I just don't think I can afford salon upkeep. I live in the NE & a cut is $50, color runs around $100-$150. My hair is dirty blond but has gotten darker since I had my son, so the gray I have really shows.

If you color or highlight your hair at home, what do you use?

sweetpotato418

Asked by sweetpotato418 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Nice and Easy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I use Loreal. To me it is just as good.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• There are places EVERYWHERE that cost less than that. Maybe you should discuss prices with a stylist to see what they can do within your budget. I work with my clients, because some of them wouldn't come in at all. I would not suggest highlighting your own hair. Even a cheap place like Smart style or Fantastic Sam's would come out better than doing it yourself.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I go to a very nice salon and pay 55-60 for highlights and hair cut. And I have long dark hair. I wouldn't trust myself to do it. I've seen too many ppl w/ fried hair!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thanks for the advice - I'm VERY nervous about trying to color it at home. Especially because I'm in my 40's & you just can't get away w/ as much. I'll talk to my stylist - she's good & will probably have a solution.
    sweetpotato418

Comment by sweetpotato418 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I've been coloring my own hair for many years. Since my hair is dark brown, the color is a lot more forgiving. Natural Instincts has worked pretty well for me; it washes out gradually and my hair has never been fried by it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'm sure your stylist would rather work something out rather than lose you as a client. That's good thinking! I hope you find what you are looking for!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• gariner nurtisse.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I liked Perfect 10 but if you want nice blonde I wouldn't risk doing it yourself especially if your roots are darker then the rest of your head.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011