Does all of this PA bashing also apply to those of us who have disabilities?

There's so much hatred on this site, and it saddens me. We are called lazy, moochers, we are told we are "living off of the taxpayer's dime (although the majority of us also work). We are told we don't take care of our kids, that any and all choices we make are wrong (from buying a Coke with foodstamps, to buying x-mas toys for our kids). Some try to justify their hatred by saying, "Well I'm only talking about the ones who ABUSE it), but their comments are really towards ALL of us.

Anyway, my question is this: does this hatred and bashing apply to those of us with disabilities?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, my bashing of people who are in PA are those who are able bodied and choose to be lazy instead of work to support themselves. I see nothing wrong with those who can't work, I see a problem with those who won't work.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Sometimes it can....There are people such as my uncle who even though is considerd disable yet he can work just fine...abuses the system. So some of the stuff said can apply to those with disabilities. I do know that not everyone abuses PA but there are a lot that do. I mean no disrespect to you if you are on PA or you are disabled. I do not know you....I only know very few people who are on PA and sadly all of them abuse it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I never do the bashing since it's not by business and I have to idea why people are on PA
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Your criticizing people for generalizing, but then you generalize by saying, "but their comments are really towards ALL of us". By stating that, you're doing the same thing... making generalizations/incinuations.

Anyway, the term disabled is very vague. Disabled like, can't work? Even at a desk? Or disabled like, obese? There's a cure for some things, and sending a person more money to enable an addiction seems counter-productive. (Not talking about the thyroid folks).

"living off of the taxpayer's dime": Although I think it's rude, unecessary, and distasteful to say something like that when one doesn't know what type of situation another person is in, taxes do fund PA. Some folks just need to work on installing a filter between their brain and their mouth.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Unfortunately, if you've been on the planet for any length of time you have seen how trends cycle. Disability can be so easily abused and there is even a "system" of mentoring that can help people through the process. I know a group of people (only one very personally) who have obtained "mental" disabilities through the utilization of this fully equipped with mentor process. It is disgusting that this person who is perfectly able to work, but just no longer wants to work has been able to pull the wool- we no longer associate with him. CONT

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• CONT
    I have ssen this in action on a smaller scale, in my place of employment. When staffing on various units flucuates, we shift nurse around to cover all pt assignments. Typically nurses hate this practice because you have to work in a foireign location and with pt diseases that you may not typically care for or even have strong knowledge of. Anyway, in order to get out of floating, nurses were obtaining "disablities" from their MDs, excluding them from floaitng to different units and caring for other pt populations. Suddenly, most of the staff had these exemptions....at which point management decided that IF you can NOT float to other units, you can NO longer be employed in the hospital- Guess how many people we lost??? ZERO! Suddenly everyone was able- bodied enough to float-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Anon- It took our former friend about 9 months- His cousin mentored him through process, set him up with the lawyers, doctors, including  the psychiatrist who coached him as to how to dress, answer , respond (make them repeat the ? many times, claiming confusion) walk (get a cane), look (do not shave) etc.. This man has no mental issues other than his aversion to actual work. In turn, he successfully mentored another associate through the process- it's a well honed system. Funny how easy is it was for this man to work up the energy to get through this process.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have never participated in it and I never will - bashing that is. It's ridiculous.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 3:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I am also on disability. You can't let a site like this get to you. If I did I would be in a crazy house. Let them think what they want to think.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• There is hatred on here about those on PA and it seems to be assumed that if you are on PA then you are lazy and a mooch as you said. Thing is, I work ALMOST full time...key term being ALMOST. My job does that so that I cannot get the benefits that they offer such as medical and seeing as how I am pregnant I need medical. So I get medical through the system BUT I work and have ALWAYS worked since I was 16yrs old. I'm now 27yrs old and in a situation that I need help so I am thankful it is there.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2011