Experience with Progesterone Birth Control and Breast Feeding?

Long story short, I just got a prescription for a progesterone only birth control pill because I'm still breastfeeding my 11 month old (just got my period back last month). I have reservations about taking the pills because I don't like the idea that the hormones are getting into my milk supply (yes, I know it's supposed to be safe--but there haven't been any long term studies). Is anyone else using this form of the pill and successfully breastfeeding? Any reactions in your baby? Has it been effective for you?

HorseLovinMama

Asked by HorseLovinMama at 3:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't do pills myself. I forget them. HOWEVER, as a moderator of breastfeeding groups for many years I can tell you that never ONCE have I seen a BABY problem from it. And that's going back a good ten years, with literally hundreds of moms if not thousands.

HOWEVER, I have seen the following in MOM:

1. Milk supply problems
    2. Mood swings/irritability
    3. Never-ending periods

Answer by gdiamante at 3:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I was on that for like a week before my OB got my Mirena. My milk was totally gone after 2 weeks of having the Mirena, and on top of that I had about 50 other really bad side effects. A close friend of mine also lost her milk after a couple of weeks of getting the Mirena. I never recommend that anyone breastfeeding start any kind of hormonal birth control (even progesterone only), and the lactation consultant I saw and many other people said the same thing. ANY hormonal birth control can effect supply.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I had no problems with the "minipill" interfering with breastfeeding, but I ended up pregnant with #3 when my second was 9 months old. I continued to breastfeed him until he was a year while I was pregnant, but then stopped because my iron levels were plummeting to dangerous levels.

Answer by missanc at 3:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Oh... forgot one other MOM issue.... getting pregnant! The minipill is unforgiving. You have to take it precisely. Which is why I'm not a candidate for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have no problems with the minipill, aside from some minor weight gain, a little irritability and frequent unpredictable periods. It didn't kill my supply like Mirena did, and my dd has had no issues with it. It hasn't made her fussy or anything like estrogen based bc can. Minipills are the safest hormone based bc for nursing, just be sure to have your menstrual cycle supplies handy because your period will come whenever it pleases, it won't have a schedule.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i have been on the mini pill for a few months and had to stop taking it since my insurance didnt cover it anymore (booo insurance) i never had a problem with it except my period came when ever it wanted and last any where from 3 days to 3 weeks!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I use the mirena iud and haven't experienced any trouble breastfeeding.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I've had no problems with me or my dd. Can I ask, have you been having sex without contraception since having your baby and not worried about conceiving because you hadn't had a period? Cause if thats how it works I will stop taking the pill as i've not had one either lol!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have used it w/ both of my kids. I successfully nursed my oldest for 24 months and am still nursing my youngest who just turned 2. They have never had a problem with it. I didn't get my period at all w/ my oldest and didn't get any bleeding/period with my youngest until about a month ago when I spotted a couple days a week for about 3 weeks and then had a period. The period was normal, though, and actually lighter with less cramps than I am used to.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 12:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• "Cause if thats how it works I will stop taking the pill as i've not had one either lol! "

Ovulation typically comes before the period, so beware! There are moms who go baby to baby without a period. Unless you KNOW you cannot be pregnant (as in no sex or no reproductive organs)... act as if you're fertile at ALL times.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011