Is it normal for social services to pay a visit after a traumatic event in a family??

I've been puzzling over this for a little while but didn't want to share it because I was a little embarrassed. We recently suffered some very close deaths family deaths, my husband and daughter. I received a letter yesterday stating that they'd be paying a visit to us to 'check-up'. Does this mean somebody has reported us?

Have you ever had an experience with social services? The house will obviously be spick and span and the children are as happy as can be expected (well the littl'uns are the same as always)

What can I do to prepare? I don't understand if we did anything wrong or if it was a report. They didn't state that in their letter. If I call up and ask will they be able to tell me?

I'm so worried. I'm just starting to pick myself up again and to stop from moping and I don't think I've done anything wrong whatsoever, I've supported my kids 24/7 and done all I could. Even to the level of home-schooling one now.

If it's not too much to ask no condolences or sympathy... I feel a bit too much like I'm baring my soul on here and it's different in a journal that people can choose to read...lol. I just really wanted to ask without using the anon button since if anyone's got any other info on it I'd love a message or two.

Thank you fellow mommas. Hope you're all having good days!

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 3:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes it is normal and I hope everything goes well
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Lovely thanks mommy_of_two388! I hoped so.
    leah_rai

Comment by leah_rai (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think it is very normal for social services to stop by for a visit after such a tragic event. People often think of social services as a bad thing, but they are there to help in a time of need also.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It is normal. My friend passed away and a social service person attended the funeral to be with her dd and make sure the girl was doing ok.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It may just be a well-being check to see how you guys are coping.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I wanted to say I'm sorry for your losses
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'm assuming it must b e different from state to state b/c I just had close family members die and no one ever came to check on my daughter.
    Anonymous

• (((HUGS))) I am sorry for your loss and someone must have reported you. Just take a deep breath and know everything will be okay. I will keep a good thought for you and your children again I am sorry for the loss.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• This is normal, especially when a child's death is involved.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Hmmm, I have a B.A. in Social Work, and I must say, I've never heard of a random visit after a loss. I know that hospital SW's will sometimes talk with families at the hospital, but I've always had the notion that a home visit was only mandatory after a report. I could be wrong b/c different states/communities have different procedures in some cases. I've worked with mental illness and child abuse only, so I'm not 100% about loss situations.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2011