OMG School shooting

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110105/NEWS97/110109863#millard-south-shooter-found-principal-injured

This just happened this afternoon. All I can think about is that when my kids are old enough they will be going to this school! Now my husband wonders why I want to home school.

OliviaW.

Asked by OliviaW. at 3:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's getting all too close to home..I also live in Nebraska..about 3 1/2 hours from Omaha. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved..they said on the news tonight that the entire Omaha Police Force is having a hard time with this one. They interviewed a couple of his old friends from Lincoln on the news and they said he told them he was gonna kill himself and they didn't believe him. I'm not blaming them at all, but it sounds like there were signs he was gonna do something horrible.including the post he made on FB right before doing it.
    alyssasmom11007

Answer by alyssasmom11007 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Do you realize how many millions of kids go to school every day and how rare something like this is? Your children are far more likely to be injured or killed in a car accident or a plane crash than a school shooting. Yes, I worry every day as I send my kids off on the bus, especially when I hear something like this. But I also worry when my daughter drives by herself or when she goes to her job at a fast food place or when my son and his buddies go for a long walk down the street. Keeping them sheltered at home is not a very good reason for choosing home-schooling.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• We do homeschool, and hearing sad stories like that just make me that much more thankful that we do.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• thats sad and i hate reading about things like that but my kids will still go to a public school. we need to be educating our children and parents need to be parents. Thats the issue with kids now days parents are taking responsiblity for their kids actions and they are not intuned some of these situations could have been prevented if parents were paying attention to the sighns.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• One of the many reasons I want to home school...... School violence is almost a daily thing here... You always hear about stabbings and large fights and kdis bring guns and drugs to school. Its not a shock to here it on the news here
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• its not that rare ceallaigh it actually happens alot but your right its not a good reason to shelter our kids at home.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I know I had just walked out of my job at a school when I heard that and it's in my state also
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I know alyssasmom1007, my heart goes out to them too. I feel bad for his father who is a police officer. You know he feels terrible about this.
    OliviaW.

Comment by OliviaW. (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011