Richard Dawkins

Have you read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins? What is your opinion about it? Have you read anything else by Dawkins?

Mamaie

Asked by Mamaie at 4:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, my view of Richard Dawkins and his books is that he is not an atheist because he thinks that he is God. I've read all of his books and I detest him. We need to go back to someone like Kant - more ethical than philosophical but why not...
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I just re-read that and realised how serious it sounded. I just get aggravated, he states his arguments like they're fact, when in fact his opinion is just as relevant as those who is trying to put down. We studied him a lot during my Philosophy course and I can't stick him, something about his attitude.. His arguments also have far too many holes in them.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have read some quotes from it, but I haven't read the whole thing. In that book, he made a joke about Naturalistic Pantheism (aka Scientific Pantheism). He described Pantheism as 'sexed up atheism', which misses some points about it IMO, but it's still sort of funny to me (I'm not easily offended). It also gave it some credibility to other atheists in some ways, because it's really a view that's quite compatible with many atheists, Humanists, etc., and it's the only religion he didn't really dismiss outright in the book (so I hear). I'd be interested to read it sometime.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I didn't really enjoy his book much. He seems way too full of himself, but I do admit he makes many good points.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• LOL at 'sexed up atheism'- makes pantheism sound hot! LOL! I actually have it sitting on my Kindle but haven't gotten to it yet. When I do, I'll let you know what I thought.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I've read it. It's his opinion and I respect that,  but he seems as radical and the radical religions he is hostile (his word) towards. He doesn't like religion because it doesn't allow for real science. However most religions don't conflict with science at all.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Read part of it and I think its pretty well written and he expresses his feelings but I do not agree with any of it.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Have you read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins? Yes.  I own it.

What is your opinion about it?  He over-explains his point-of-view in that haughty professor kind of voice.  There's too much scientific analysis, though I found a few decent sound bytes from it. Too wordy!

Have you read anything else by Dawkins?  No, and I probably won't.  I prefer Christopher Hitchens and Dan Barker.  They express themselves in a way that an average reader can comprehend.  And Ruth Humerce Green is equally articulate.  I wish my bookstore would get more of her writings.

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• havent read it and i probably never will (unless i have to for a class or something). ive seen enough interviews to know he has no respect for anyone's opinions but his own and that his ego is as big as the Grand Canyon. he's entitled to his opinions but i find him as obnoxious and arrogant as any other extremist.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011