Are those real people on the reality shows or actors?

I watched Dr Phil the other day and this couple was on the show. The wife was overweight and the guy openly admitted to being verbally abusive to her. He called her hippo, fatty, you name it. I dont watch Reality Tv that often, but is it ever staged? I mean who in their right mind would go on national tv and admit that they call their wife abusive names to the entire world? Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Entertainment

• Typically they're real but staged, if that makes any sense. There were a couple of shows like the Nanny done in my area, and I remember one mom saying that the crew had destroyed her house and that they edited the show to make things look worse than they really were. Another one of those shows had looked at my old TV station as a setting... they wanted to put a mom in there and put her in an alleged choice of work or be with her kids. It was silly and the premise was VERY contrived.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Unfortunately the world is full of ppl like that. It's sad and you think they'd be embarrassed to admit it but I've encountered several that were proud of it.
    But I do feel sometimes on reality tv it is exaggerated.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It's often staged. At the beginning of programmes they generally say 'some scenes were created for dramatic purposes'.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I don't think of Dr Phil and other talk shows as reality tv, I was thinking of Survivor and IRT Truckers, stuff like that.

Things like Springer I have heard some time ago, that they were staged or that the people your seeing are portraying the actual people in a real story.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yeah Zoey, I was thinking that as I was typing I just dont know what to call those shows,,lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011