I was wondering how long you normally bleed after getting an IUD placed and if you have to see the doctor to make sure it was placed correctly.

I went in for my 6 week post partum follow up and decided that I wanted to start using mirena IUD. I have been bleeding since and my doctor said most women bleed for a month or two afterwards. I have also been cramping and my doctor told me that I didn't need a follow up visit to make sure that it was placed correctly. A friend of mine had been on mirena and she was experiencing the same things as me and found out that the mirena had gone through her uterine wall. My doctor told me that if my symptoms get worse to come in, but they have stayed the same. I was wondering if I am experiencing common symptoms or if I need to talk to another doctor about whats happening.

mshodges87

Asked by mshodges87 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Health

• I bled off and on, mostly on, for four months.

Now if you have extreme bleeding or severe pain, call your doc, but regular to light blood like a period is normal.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Some bleeding is normal for up to six months. Also you should have a follow up 4 weeks after it is insurted to make sure the body didnt reject it. I would find a new OB/GYN
    DanyielJ

Answer by DanyielJ at 4:40 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I bled for 2 weeks off and one. I also had a follow up in 6 weeks to make sure it was fitted correctly, check the strings, and I had to use back-up method for 4 weeks of that.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2011