Do today’s working parents whine too much or are we legitimately stressed?

In significant ways, working parents – both men and women—have it much easier than in the past, with laws and policies that protect against discrimination and far more professional opportunities, especially for women. On the home front, it’s much more acceptable for men to split child-rearing and household tasks with their partners. Technology has eased life for many working parents, allowing them to have much more flexibility in their schedules and to work remotely – although tech advances also mean that some managers expect work to be done anytime, anywhere.

All of these advances, though, have ratcheted the pressure on working moms, especially, who sometimes feel inadequate if they don’t succeed on all fronts – at work and in the home. “Some women today say this places unrealistic expectations on mothers and leaves them feeling exhausted or imperfect if they don’t achieve success in all realms,” Sara once wrote.

http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2011/01/05/are-working-parents-wusses/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think it's legitimately stress. I give props for working mothers. I don't know how they do it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think my job is okay not stressfull at all.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• We all go through our bad days, we stress out just like everyone else does. Sure, laws have made things easier for us, but that doesn't mean we don't have crap days from time to time. Last week was so bad at work, I was exhausted and wanted to cry almost everyday. On top of that, I have to go home to take care of things that DH doesn't want to bother with, even though he's not working.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Depends on the parent and the day. It's no different then a SAHM parent. Some whine all the time and others just whine on bad days.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'm sure it is harder with both parents working. At the same time we do have a lot more conveniences; washer and dryer, microwave, hot water heater...

I think one of our biggest problems is time management though. It's all too easy to waste a couple hours in front of the TV or on the computer.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think many people create their own stress by trying to do it all - keeping up with the Joneses, if you will - by adhering to some model of what society tells them they should be or what they should have. I personally have never bought into it and have always done what suited me and my family best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2011