Is there harm in referring to your DD as princess?

Yet among today's educated urbanites, "princess culture" is the subject of raging debate. What some parents consider innocent make-believe, others deem character-eroding indoctrination. Calling your daughter a princess fosters "a sense of entitlement and undeserved superiority," declares one mother, commenting on a CafeMom post called, "Is the Princess Fantasy Dangerous?" Others fear that princess stories teach girls to be pretty and helpless, waiting for a prince to rescue them instead of acting on their own behalf. Should liberated women let their daughters play Cinderella? It's a topic with which mommy blogs never seem to tire.

"Enough is enough," writes an exasperated Sasha Brown-Worsham, a self-described "feminist with a master's degree," on CafeMom. Dissenting from her peers, Ms. Brown-Worsham doesn't believe her daughter will be marred for life if she wears a princess dress or insists on being addressed as Cinderella. "'Princess culture," she declares, "is what you make it."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703727804576017660080822854.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not at all. My little girl is a princess! She is "deserving" and "entitled" all children are. Children deserve to be made to feel special, beautiful & important. It builds a strong self worth and a drive that will only favor them throughout life. Teaching children they are just one in a crowd does nothing but suppress their naturally want to succeed. All children have the ability to achieve greatness, but they have to believe it first. As far as I am concerned, my child is just as much a princess as any that would be born to privilege. Just because I can't afford to give her the sky, doesn't mean she doesn't have the ability to reach it someday.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I do not think so. My dd thought Princess was her name for a long time. Someone else called out princess in a restaurant when she was 3 or 4 and she asked me how they knew her name!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 5:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I believe it is up to the parents and how far they go with it. Being the oldest of 3, my mom made me feel like crap. My brother(middle child) was called her "prince" and my sister, the youngest was "princess". They literally could do no wrong in her eyes. She never punished them. I could go on with the list of beatings I got instead of them.

Now years later, her "prince" yells at her, calls her fat, disrespects her and has no respect for women period. Her "princess" is having sex, is disrespectful, is failing all her classes and takes her debit card and withdraws anywhere from 1-200 a week.

I call my kids that, but I also make sure they know boundaries. Right and wrong. I agree with PP's and definitely with Moonfaeie30: is HOW you raise your child not the toys they have or the the nicknames you call them that shape who they are as a person.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think it is what you make of it my parents lined me up with my two brothers and shaved my head so I would not have princess thoughts. I think they see it play with it and grow out of it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Oh I hate that modern-ideas crap. I grew up being called a princess.. My 22-year-old daughter was brought up the same way. We both turned out just FINE! I agree, princess culture is what you make it.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 5:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No, unless you treat her as such. If you treat her as if she can have anything without question, she has no bounderies, no limits, and never hears the word "No", then that can be harmful. If you just call her "Princess" and treat her like any well mannered, respectful, and obedient child then that's fine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It depends if you use it as a nickname every once in a while (for example, "hi, princess!) or if you constantly say "your my little princess", or "remember, you are always a princess". use it as a nickname, she'll be fine. use it constantly, and it might not be too good. hope it helps!
    wolfmom22

Answer by wolfmom22 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I call my daughters my little princesses and they have princess toys because they like to play with them. They also build with blocks and play with dump trucks (that they own). However they have rules to follow and chores they are expected to do. I think it is HOW you raise your child not the toys they have or the the nicknames you call them that shape who they are as a person. I instill values in my child not her toys.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• At that point you have a really awesome life if calling a little girl "Princess" is on your worry list :) lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2011