Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever filed a complaint with an insurance company?

We want to file a complaint but we're not sure how to do it. We were in a car accident and the other guy's insurance has decided to not accept liability on the damages to our vehicle. My insurance company said they can't fight it unless we pay our deductable ($500) first, which we're trying to avoid. She said we could file a complaint and the decision could be reviewed by a different adjuster, but idk how to do that. Anyone?!


Asked by livn4hevn at 5:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 11 (622 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • See if you can find an auto body shop to work with you on the deductible. As long as you don't have a lien on your car, USAA would have to pay either you or the body shop for the repairs. USAA is, I believe, saying that you have to file the claim through them and they will then go after the other insurance company for the claim.

    The only other recourse you have is to contact the office of the Insurance Commissioner in your state.

    I'm so sorry about your husband's friend.

    Answer by sweetpotato418 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • Depends who was at fault. If you guys were then you have to pay the $500 deductible. If the other guy is pay it and then sue the person in small claims.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • I agree with PP...There are also cases where fault is shared..this happened to my brother last year and he (insurance) had to pay just a certain % of the others damages...

    Answer by Soniam301 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • No one will take our case- we tried small claims. He's definately responsible (he spun out and hit us). But since there's no injury to anyone in my car, we can't get a lawyer to take the case- they said by the time we pay for the lawyer and all the fees and whatnot it isn't worth it and it'll cost us more money then our deductible. the only option is to file a formal complaint about the claim decision and see if someone else will review the case and change the answer. Or pay for our own repairs and hope that USAA fights it and we get our money back 6-8 mos down the road.

    Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • Sounds like you have to pay your deductible if you want your car fixed then, good thing you have insurance though, attorneys are pricey!

    Answer by Soniam301 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • I'm so mad!!! ... We just found out that one of my husband's friends that he deployed with took his own life last weekend, and we need to use that $500 to fly out for the funeral. I can't be spending it on these stupid repairs!!! And I can't wait 6 mos for USAA to get my money back either. SO irritating. Even the USAA chick I've been working with said she couldn't understand WHY they would think they weren't responsible. It's crazyness.....

    But the question still stands- if you know how to file a complaint with the insurance company, let me know. I don't know where to start with that- and I wanna do that before I pay anything out of pocket

    Comment by livn4hevn (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2011