If granted sole custody and no child support has been ordered does the other parent get visitation rights ?

slmsra

Asked by slmsra at 5:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Only if you allow it or their is a court visitation set up
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Mommy of two took the words right out of my mouth! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Support and custody are two different issues.
    If there is no support ordered, go to the court and see if you can get it set up.
    If there is no visitation order--it is up to you
    If there IS a visitation order--you need to follow it, even it the other party is not paying support.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• So the other parent can't force you to see the child unless they have visitation rights? Even if it's just temporary sole custody? I'm curious 'cause I'm in the same boat. It's not that I don't want my DS's dad to see him, I just want him to be clean and sober when he's around my son. So far he hasn't managed to do that.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If there is no visitation ordered then, no you don't have to let the other parent see them
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If there is no visitation arrangements set up by the court/judge then the parent with sole custody does not HAVE to allow the other parent to see the child, if that is the way that you look at it *instead of allow the child to see their mommy/daddy* If you are waiting for a court hearing *temp. order or not* it is GREATLY frowned upon if you do withhold the child from the other parent for any non legit reason. Our judge RIPPED into my stepdaughters biological mother when he found out she with held my husbands daughter from him for three months because she didn't like me and didn't want me around HER daughter. Just be careful!
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 2:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Not unless you just let him he needs to pay child support if he wishes to see his child, its a part of responsibility.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No. We've been going through this crap for a few years now. In my situation, the mother got sole custody and we pay child support, but didn't have any rights to see my stepson at all. We only recently finally went to court and got some visitation.
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• bump
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2011