What would you do?

On my way home from work today, I witnessed an accident. A young couple in a brown car stopped at a stop sign, but didn't wait for the white car to go. The white car did not have a stop sign. The woman in the white car had three young children in the back of her car.
Even though there were several cars around when the accident occurred, NO ONE ELSE STOPPED!! Not even to see if every one was all right!!
No one was injured, but the young lady with the three kids had no idea what to do. Since the car that went in front of her also hit a park car, I insisted the police be called. I also helped the young woman calm the kids and helped her with knowing what she needed to do. I advised her to get out her insurance card, her registration and her driver's license. She was very shaken up and didn't even realize that the car should have not being going as she technically had the 'right of way'.
I gave my witness statement to the police and she thanked me profusely for my help and thanked me for stopping even when no one else did.
I realize that people are in a hurry. I, myself, had to pick up my children from childcare. Would you do the same? I think we would all like to think we would, but would you really?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Travel

• I would have stopped. I do every time an accident happens in front of me
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• One time we stopped to help at an accident. The lady in one of the cars refused to talk to us. I  asked if she was alright. She would not look at me and stayed on her phone the whole time.  I guess thats what I get for trying to help. My DH did nopt want to stop.

Answer by louise2 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I stop only if they look bad...not for fender benders. If she doesn't know how to handle herself in an accident, she should not be driving. JMO.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You bet I would. I would hope that if the tables were turned, someone would do the same for my kids and I.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I would have stopped. I am eternally grateful to all the witnesses who gave a statement after my father was killed in a car accident.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• ashisamom-

I'm sure she was told what to do in the event of an accident, but when you have 3 young children (all looked to be younger than 5) in the car, and you are shaken up, you can forget. I know when I had my first accident at 19, I all thought of what I was to do left my mind. I was not at fault, but I was still shaken and scared. I should have known what to do as my parents and my driver ed teacher drilled me in those matters, but I still had to call my mom because it left my mind. Keep in mind, while some of us have an innate ability to handle anything that comes our way, other people can get easily shaken when something like this occurs. I'm sure her mind was going to a lot of different things. Now that I am older and have more experience in these matters, it comes more naturally to me.

layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I was not trying to be mean. I hit a tree head on going 80 when I was 16. I immediately called 911, checked on everybody in the car, got my license, registration, and insurance card out and sat patiently and waited for the police. I was calm and collected. I do tend to forget that everybody is not as rational as I am. I have also been into accidents (not my fault) with my two kids in the car. I was still calm. I am glad you are a good person who stops to help. I do if somebody looks like they need help.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My husband and I always stop (my husband is required to due to his job). Sometimes the people are grateful for our help and other times they don't want our help at all. One time, we stopped at 3 accidents within a two day span on our weekend vacation. It has never occurred to me, not to stop and at least check to make sure that all people involved are okay and to see if the police need our statements.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I first assess the safety of the situation, for myself and for my son if he is with me. I call the police from my cell phone if no one else has. I get out to offer help if I think it's safe, and I pull up and roll my window down and speak to people that way to offer help if I don't think it's 110% safe to get out of my car.

I stopped once for a man who was backing up rush-hour traffic b/c his battery was dead. It was clear he was handicapped, he could not walk easily and he also could not speak clearly. NO ONE ELSE STOPPED. I was astounded. I stayed with him until the police arrived (it was not safe to try to manoeuvre my car to jump his battery).

For safety, I consider traffic, lighting, and also safett from criminals, whether that means the people in the accident or a passer-by.

At one point there was a man in my comunity crashing into women at night and then raping them when they got out to assess the damage etc.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• ashisamom, I don't think that mother was less rational than someone else simply because she got rattled in a bad situation. I think a lot of people would react the same way, and probably even the majority of people get somewhat rattled. I admire you for how well you kept it together in the two examples you gave, but I don't think that is an average or typical reaction, and I also think expecting everyone to be just as cool calm and collected is an unfair expectation.

As for whether or not you "should" be driving if you can't stay cool calm and collected if you get in an accident, I'd suggest you reflect on how very necessary a car is for almost every aspect of life in most of the USA. Many people can't get groceries, take their kids to daycare or school, visit friends, or go to work without driving a car. It can be impossible to find any job at all that you can walk to or take public transportation to, in some places.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011