Coffee for adhd?

Anyone know of any natural suppliments that treat ADHD? I did some research and found that some parents were using coffee, since stimulant medications work well with people who have adhd. Any personal experience?

kaileymom79

Asked by kaileymom79 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• my sister uses coffee for her 5 yo because she couldnt see putting him on ridlin. he drinks a 4 oz cup of black coffee in the morning before school and his behavior at school has improved soooooo much! dont add sugar or anything to it. just plain black coffee and definatly try it on a day he wil be home first. you dont want it to wire him and then send him off to school. but i have heard alot of people say it works.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Theoretically it should help bc kids with adhd are given stimulants as medication and it calms them down. Couldn't hurt to try.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 5:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My son doesn't have ADHD, but he's very energetic and um... unfocused. I do give him a tiny shot of coffee in some milk if he's going to have to do something that requires a lot of focus. It's not often, but it really helps to calm his mind and get him to concentrate. The problem with caffeine is that it wears off, and usually in the middle of the school day. You may want to look in to supplementing with magnesium and B6 (to help absorption) and possibly DMG as well. I have had a lot of good results with my oldest son with those.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• One of my very good friends says that coffee helps her in this area, that it actually calms her down. She's the only person I've ever known who thought that, but she said it to me again today--just a little while ago, in fact.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2011