P.A.N.D.A.S. *strep throat related disorder*

Does anyone believe in this diagnosis? I'm not convinced...although I'm not completely unconvinced. It would be nice if there was a blood test to confirm this. Pretty much after you have strep, and person with pandas gets OCD and/or adhd/anxiety symptoms..and it gets worse after each round of strep. It's treated by having the person on antibiotics for a prolonged period. That's what scares me to be honest. Anyway, anyone with a child diagnosed with this? Did the treatment work? Just curious, thanks.

kaileymom79

Asked by kaileymom79 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It's not a matter of having a choice to believe in the disorder. PANDAS is a real disorder that causes suffering and should not be made light of. I have a PANDAS child and he not only had severe OCD but also had separation anxiety, rages, sensory, and much more. There is no diagnostic test for PANDAS, but there is a study being conducted to test if a child has anti-neuronal antibodies present. Also, a trial of antibiotics can help determine if PANDAS is a possibility. With antibiotics, it is important to remember that amoxicillin and pennicillin have high failure rates in erradicating strep throat. My son alone is proof PANDAS exists. He no longer has OCD or any of the other problems he had. He is in complete remission. For more info on PANDAS, here are a few useful websites.
    http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?&showforum=17
    http://pandasnetwork.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pepsi-Refresh-Project-PANDAS/33205998
    pandasparent

Answer by pandasparent at 5:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• what is pandas? I thought you meant the bear at first LOL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I know its related to strep but what is it? Is it a tonsil issue or something
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• PANDAS is an abbreviation for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections. This diagnosis is used to describe a set of children who have a rapid onset of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and/or tic disorders such as Tourette syndrome (TS), following group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal (GABHS) infections such as "strep throat" and scarlet fever.[1] The proposed link between infection and these disorders is an autoimmune reaction, where antibodies produced by the infection interfere with neuronal cells.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PANDAS
    kaileymom79

Comment by kaileymom79 (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thanks! Sorry I cant help but heres a bump!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• thanks Pandasparent. My daughter's neuropsychiatrist really thinks that my daughter has it, and wanted to put her in a clinical trial. She has sensory integration d/o and anxiety disorder. She has had scarlet fever once. We *my mother and I* get strep throat at least 2x/year. It sucks, I'm actually just getting over it yet again. Still on amoxicillin, and vicodin. My daughter has a very high pain tolorance,and had strep for over 2 weeks, while the doctors were convinced she had scabies and a viral infection!!! Finally, because she stopped eating, they did a culture, and found that she indeed had strep, and the rash was from the strep (scarlett fever) This was last year. How often did your son have strep? If you could tell me more, like if there is a family history.that would be awesome. I was scared to let her do the trial since she does have eosinophilic colitis. I didn't want that to get worse.
    kaileymom79

Comment by kaileymom79 (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2011