Pregnancy ? sore wrists from retaining water?

My DD is due within 2 weeks , lately her wrists really hurt,especially at night. Her Doc told her it is from retaining water and will get worse after the baby is born! Has any of you ever heard of or experienced this

lonelyangel58

Asked by lonelyangel58 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My wrists hurt at night when I was pregnant and it turned out to be carpel tunnel (sp?) Tell her to buy a brace and it should help!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• It would wake me up at night and hanging my arm off the side of the bed was the only thing that helped. Usually retaining water doesnt hurt.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Her hands can certainly retain water, and if it's anything like my feet were, then yes it will get worse before it gets better. IIRC, my feet were pretty close to normal by about a week after I had my son. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is also really common in pregnant women, and that will slowly go away after she has the baby as well.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 5:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I swelled like crazy after I delivered my son, but it went away about 10 painful days later, so hopefully it's just a little bit longer for her as well!

It could be a Carpal Tunnel problem as well, though. Does she work with her hands or spend a lot of time on the computer? Those things are bad enough when you're not pregnant, but throw that baby into the mix and poof! I would think that all of her problems will go away shortly after delivery, though, so help comfort her with the fact that it's just a little while longer!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2008