Have you ever broken a CFL lightbulb? Did you clean it up properly?

I'm sorry, but I find this utterly ridiculous. You? Check out the pdf where it gives you the detailed instructions

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I find it ridiculous that an "environmentally friendly" product that in some areas is being forced on consumers by law is so inherently hazardous. The gas isn't a joke, and while it seems silly to be concerned about it when they do break, it's not any less legitimate a risk. A broken CFL bulb is more dangerous than a broken incandescent, and most people probably don't have the first clue about that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Well I hope they read the pdf included then and print it out.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Other than airing out the house, the directions to clean up a broken CFL don't seem all that different from a broken incandescent. I've been using CFLs for years and *never* (knock on wood) had one break, though I've had multiple incandescent blubs break over the years. it's a trade-off, but since they use about 60% LESS energy, I'd rather have them around than the old A-lamps. With the ways lighting is changing (hey, this is my industry!), you can expect CFLs to go the way of the dodo too - though it'll take about 5-10 more years minimum. There are huge advancements being made in induction (same technology as CFL BUT the mercury amalgum is solid, not liquid) and LED, for home use. Well, that's not true. You can buy LED lighting for your house right now that's as bright as incandescent or CFL, but it's pretty pricy still.

What we have to realize is that the energy for powering all this stuff doesn't just come from NOWHERE
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Wow, haven't broken one, thank goodness. I hate those bulbs. We have to place light bulbs near the pipes in the pump house along with insulating said pipes, in winter to prevent freezing and the CFL bulbs do not throw off heat so they are useless. I'm wondering what we're going to do when they become all we can obtain.
    Thanks for the link!
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes, my KIDS broke one--threw a ball at the one installed in the garage, and NO I didn't clean it up properly (in hindsight!) I can only hope that because the garage door was open and the kids ran off that none of us were exposed to whatever "friendly" stuff from China was in the damn thing!

We've stocked up on a lifetime supply of incandescent bulbs--the CFLs give me a headache, and they're harsh on the eyes!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I threw one in a dumpster I never knew. IT exploded.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have never had one break on me, but I have had some burn out well before their life expectancy. I have read about the instructions for clean up and don't understand how these instructions don't have to be printed on the packaging of the bulbs. Especially if you are being exposed to a harmful element. Seems a little like negligence to me.

I have had incandescent lights break on me, but I didn't have to clear the room for 15 minutes and then scoop up the broken shards with a stiff piece of paper and putting the broken pieces in a seal-able container. Nor did I have to collect smaller pieces by using tape. I would sweep up the broken glass and vacuum the whole area to make sure that I got all of the glass up. Can't do that with a CFL.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2011