Online Schooling, Anyone use these or heard anything about them?

South University Online

Ashford University

Everest University Online

Full Sail University

Looking to go to school online, and I put in some information to find school and these are the ones they gave me, im sure there are more out there. But if you go to these or heard things about them, please let me know.

If you go to a good school that does ONLINE stuff, because I am currently pregnant with our second and wont have time to go to a real campus. But if you go to a school that isn't up here that I can do from my home in Northwest Indiana Please put info below..

Thank you so much for your help!

HANNAHSMOMMY25

Asked by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• Around my area Pheonix University is the big one. I have never heard of any of those. well, Ashford sounds familiar... I wonder if online schools are regional...?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• All of those that you just listed are for profit schools and it is best to stay away from for profit schools. You will wind up paying $30,000 just for an associates degree from them and most of the time, other colleges will not accept credits from them. What are you wanting to major in? I can find a state college or university that offers your program online for about half of the cost of one of those schools.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I go to University of Pheonix online. I love it..... its not part of your list but there all over the US and they totally work with you to get the degee you want and in the time frame you want also..... if you want more information I am more than willing to answer question about the school.
    angelfromcali21

Answer by angelfromcali21 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'm with Jeremysmom - stay away from the for profit schools. Many employers choose not to hire people that have graduated from them. Find a state university near you and go there. Many of them have online classes, but the degree from there will mean a lot more.

Answer by missanc at 8:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I do attend school online from a local University. It's about 1/4 the cost as an online only University. You'll find that most local colleges now have many of their degrees entirely online. The cool thing is when you get the degree no one can tell whether you attended class in person or online.

If you do decide to go to an online school make sure to do your research. I went to University of Phoenix for a short period of time. Then I called around to see if I could transfer and none of the schools in Utah said that they would accept a single credit from University of Phoenix, even if I had a full degree. Yes online schools can be accredited, but doesn't mean that businesses and other colleges accept them.

Call potential employers and see if they'll hire you with a degree from that college. Most won't.

It's worth it to do your research before spending thousands of dollars on a degree that could end up being worthless.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I am currently enrolled in Ashford University for my bachelors in Psychology.Yes, Ashford is a for profit school but they are fully accredited. I am in the process of applying to USC for my Masters and have spoken with the enrollment advisor concerning Ashford. University of Phoenix is a joke from what I have heard. Just do your research and make sure the school you choose is accredited and legit.

MrsHatch4

Answer by MrsHatch4 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I am right along with Erica Smerica I too attend Ashford U I am going for my degree in Early Childhood Education and Deveolpment. The college here in town doesn't offer this program online yet. I do enjoy my schooling very much...University of Phoenix is different. You only do work in group settings, your grade is based on if everyone in your group does there part. Not Good...I like my grades to be about me.
    mommyoftwo395

Answer by mommyoftwo395 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Hi Get Excited & Stay Excited™! I successfully graduated Summa Cum Laude from Kaplan University online with 2 degrees, first one in Paralegal Studies & the other in Criminal Justice. I think you'll love their format. I went to traditional college and I will tell you Kaplan made me feel like I was at a traditional college yet in my own home. The mail you your text books, you have weekly seminars, quizzes, exams, papers due and more. They do have financial aid available and even scholarships. It is a VERY good school and I highly recommend them.. University of Phoenix is another one I'd recommend.... but I love KU best. I will return for my Masters later. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. I hope this helps! Blessings
    blessed2behome

Answer by blessed2behome at 6:48 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• And by the way, Kaplan University was a regular college Kaplan College first prior to offering online courses. So that's another reason why I think they are successful. You've probably heard of Kaplan because they are the ones that does all the SAT prep classes that we've taken or should've taken and they make a lot of the text books that we had in school.... so I highly recommend you looking into them. I just love them!! I'm a very happy alumni-- and bonus they publish in your local newspapers when you graduate and/or excel in class and you have an actual graduation too! Love them!!! Ok, I'm done raving! :0) Get Excited & Stay Excited!!!!
    blessed2behome

Answer by blessed2behome at 6:52 AM on Jan. 8, 2011