How can I get my daughter to wear pants?

We've started potty training. It's going great! Absolutely NO accidents, she goes #1 and #2 on the potty- completely by herself (except I gotta go in there and wipe her), and it's only the 2nd day. She LOVES going on the potty.

The problem is that she is awesome at going on the "big girl toilet" only when she's running around the house naked from the waist down. When I put her in underwear, even after explaining that these are special underwear that need to stay dry, she goes in them. It's like she doesn't know the difference between them and her diapers (which obviously we don't put on her anymore at all) and thinks they'll absorb it. She only pees in them enough to make them wet, not enough to drip on anything.

This makes it impossible to leave the house with her, as she doesn't seem to be bothered by being wet and won't tell me if she has to go. She can't be half naked everywhere! She caught on to everything else so quickly- how can I get her to understand that underwear are different?

NonaScheib38

Asked by NonaScheib38 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give it a week. It's all new. Don't leave the house this week and see how it goes. It's not going to stay like this. Good luck.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My son was like that. When I was confident he KNEW what he was doing. Like we were 100% potty trained naked for a few weeks. I gave him a 3 day warning that we were going to be putting underpants on and he was not going to wet them. If he did he would get a time out. Yes I know they say you should not punish for potty training and I agree but this was no longer training it was a power issue and he was winning. 1 time one time out an we were done. He was 3 years 3 months at the time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My daughter didn't like girl panties, because the characters were not cool enough. Boy undies have big pictures of fun characters. My daughter NEVER wanted to pee on her BOY panties.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• my 2yr old is potty training and shes naked waist down she cant quite get her panites down over her big butt lol.it will get better with my oldest i had her walk around in her wet panties for maybe 5 mins no more just so she gets the feel of how gross it is and show her when she pees in them took her to her potty and told her potty in here and told her that peeing in the panties is a yucky no no worked for my oldest and now my recent 2 yr potty trainee
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 12:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Weirdly enough, shortly after I posted this question I put underwear on my daughter and she just got the hang of it. I brought her to the potty once, she went, and I told her hurray her pants stayed dry. Now we're scooting all over town using public potties lol. She is learning really fast.
    NonaScheib38

Comment by NonaScheib38 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011